My hearth pad is comming together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher

Apr 2, 2009
Michigan thumb
Got this far and had to get more tile

2005_0923hearth0037.jpg

2005_0923hearth0038.jpg

Looks neat! What goes under the tile, cement board? Look forward to seeing the final product!

Looks good, but are you sure you have enough insulating material? I'm not familiar with the stove you're using so maybe you need none, but on my install I had to use 6 layers of cement board to get the necessary R value.

It's the same as the one the dealer sells for the stove except I had to customize it to fit the corner.

mayhem said:
Looks good, but are you sure you have enough insulating material? I'm not familiar with the stove you're using so maybe you need none, but on my install I had to use 6 layers of cement board to get the necessary R value.

Hearth insulation requirements vary, sometimes dramatically, based on the stove. The s2400 just calls for a non-combustible surface.

I like the tile details Kingfisher. They look great.

My wife picked out the tile at Home Depot. I'm gonna take my time and try to make it look good. Won't get the stove for another month.

I have a question, I put down the durarock for my hearth pad and I have one seam in the middle. Do I need to tape the seam?

kingfisher said:
I have a question, I put down the durarock for my hearth pad and I have one seam in the middle. Do I need to tape the seam?

no, with your tile and grout over, there will be no seam left to cause a problem.

They do but I'd recommend against it. Get a bag of Versabond at Home Cheapo and mix your own. It's easy and you'll wind up with less latex modifiers in it, so it'll dry and cure nicely, without a lot of trapped residual moisture that might act up when it starts getting HOT down there...

Thanks I got a bag from home Depot. I,m gonna start on it tomorow. I'll add some pics

I'm not sure exactly why, but with tile, you typically run some fiberglass mesh tape (same as drywall fiberglass mesh tape) down those seams. I can't imagine why you would need more strength, but it is considered best practice.

If you want to do your tile right, visit this site http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php Do some reading and you will learn all you need to know about how to tile and to it correctly. There is a wealth of info there for the taking. But yes, you need to tape your seems with mesh tape, alkali resistant if I remember correctly, you can lay the mesh tape as you lay your thinset and tile at the same time. make sure to use galvanized nails or coated screws if there is any type frame work before the tile is set. Hope this gets you started and good luck, I like your plans for your hearth as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.