My Holtzholden technique

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTFIRE

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2012
I know a lot of guys like using pallets but I use large pieces of bark as my base layer. During the course of splitting I save bark that falls of the log. Usually maple, black birch, to name a few that tend to separate from the core prior to splitting. I tend to let my wood sit for a 6-12 months because of other stuff going on. The first picture is an area uncovered last winter when we used that wood. It sat for 3 seasons and the bottom layer of wood had no rot. I have 10 twelve foot diameter spots I use for Holtzholdens.i like to have 4 to 7 at any time but have had as much as 10 full. At 4.5 ft tall they hold around 3 cord. The topography of my land is such that these are the highest part of the land. Good drainage, lotso of breeze and afternoon sun. 20161028_181006.jpg the next pic is a new space I have taken back from the weeds with new bark 20161028_180706.jpg and lastly a few complete 20161028_155958.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lot of guys like using pallets but I use large pieces of bark as my base layer. During the course of splitting I save bark that falls of the log. Usually maple, black birch, to name a few that tend to separate from the core prior to splitting. I tend to let my wood sit for a 6-12 months because of other stuff going on. The first picture is an area uncovered last winter when we used that wood. It sat for 3 seasons and the bottom layer of wood had no rot. I have 10 twelve foot diameter spots I use for Holtzholdens.i like to have 4 to 7 at any time but have had as much as 10 full. At 4.5 ft tall they hold around 3 cord. The topography of my land is such that these are the highest part of the land. Good drainage, lotso of breeze and afternoon sun. View attachment 186801 the next pic is a new space I have taken back from the weeds with new bark View attachment 186802 and lastly a few complete View attachment 186803

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Man I love it. The bark idea is great. I have been wondering what to do with all the bark I am collecting. I like using these Holtzholdens as I am very limited in actual flat areas and I feel I can build these on a slope. Thank's for the post.

Reactions: CTFIRE
Status
Not open for further replies.