1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My homemade outdoor wood furnace (boiler)

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Lapeer20m, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Lapeer20m

Lapeer20m Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just wanted to say that things are going great! The boiler works better than I expected. We had a bit of a cold snap and there were no issues, the boiler kept burning easily with loading at 12 hour intervals.

This morning was below freezing but highs are going to be near 50. On days like today I like to start a fire and heat the house using only sticks that I pick up off the ground within about 100 feet of the boiler. I can just let this single load of sticks burn and it'll heat the house all day. I'll start another fire after dark. This way I save my processed wood for when its actually cold out.
    Vizsla likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Congratulations on your success. Now that you're done, I could use some help........Michigan isn't that far away.

Bob
  3. Lapeer20m

Lapeer20m Member

Loc:
    Michigan

I installed the dhw sidearm yesterday. It works great, but not sure if I plumbed it correctly.

Thermosyphon action is improved with higher owb water temps, so I circulate water first through sidearm then to the heat exchanger. My concern is that when it really gets cold outside this may make it more difficult to keep the house up to temperature.

It would only take about 10 minutes to swap the pex fittings around to feed heat exchanger first then the sidearm...

Today has a high of 50, then I don't think we will be above freezing again for the foreseeable future. After the weekend I should have a good idea if this setup is going to function properly.
  4. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Did you make your own sidearm or did you buy it?

Bob
  5. Lapeer20m

Lapeer20m Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    I made my own. I used 3/4 for dhw and 1" for owb.

I wanted larger outside diameter but felt it was cost prohibitive and difficult to obtain as Home Depot doesn't handle any copper larger than 1".

I suppose it would be possible to make one utilizing dissimilar metals but I did not explore this option.

I'm still thinking about also installing a small plate exchanger into the dhw system just to make sure the mrs doesn't run out of hot water.
    Vizsla and hobbyheater like this.
  6. Lapeer20m

Lapeer20m Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just wanted to post a photo of the snow covered insulated culvert which houses my owb pex lines: It's nearly 30 degrees outside temp today. Water temperature is about 170 degrees.

[​IMG]
    Vizsla, rowerwet and brenndatomu like this.
  7. Lapeer20m

Lapeer20m Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    We've had near record cold, like most of the country. Many mornings bow freezing, the coldest: -20f.

The boiler keeps up just fine as long as I keep it fed. It vaporizes hundreds of pounds of firewood in a 24 hour period when its below Zero.

Today I swapped out the actuator for the draft control. It was damaged by a piece of falling firewood and ended up causing a boil-over.

To reduce the chance of future boiling events I installed a new temp controller that will turn on the circulator in the house when the water temp reaches 190*. This should also serve as an "alarm" to alert us that there is a problem.
    Vizsla, stayfitz and hobbyheater like this.
  8. GENECOP

GENECOP Member

Loc:
    Ny
    Awsome project......well done, and you did the entire job for what my Fluepipe cost.....LOL...
  9. rowerwet

rowerwet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    that is when you know you did it the right way!