My house design and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

llidisky

Dec 24, 2013
Ozark mo
Hey all. I am wanting to put in a pellet stove in our living room and get away from using our electric heat pump. Our house is about 1500 sq ft and I have a nice little corner in our open living room to put one. I have attached a quick non scale drawing of our floor plan and a pic of the area where I want the stove to go. I want this to be an install to where the warm months of southwest Missouri I can put the stove in our shed and in the cold bring it in. So to do this I want to run the exhaust pipe 7' vertical and then 90 to run through the living room wall into our master closet and then run the pipe along the top of our bedroom closet 8' to the outter wall and then outside.
My questions are: will this be safe to run the pipe in this manner using insulated wall pipe? Would I be able to cut a hole lower in wall hidden behind the stove into our closet and then cut through floor in closet to run an oak pipe so it's hidden and easy to repair if we should move? What are your thoughts on buying used stoves?
Pardon the mess. We had Christmas this morning for some very spoiled girls.
image.jpgimage.jpg

For some reason it flipped my pics. The little box wall that is brown by the Christmas tree is our bedroom closet I am talking about

http://breckwell.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=160

That would put your EVL at 3.5 (Vertical) + 8 (Horizontal) + 5 (90 or a TEE) = 16.5

You'd have to use 4", and I'd honestly expect that long of a horizontal to have issues.

I don't think it would meet code having an exhaust flue in a bed room closet.

Also their are clearance to combustible issues to consider.

Food for thought!

Reactions: Lake Girl
Save yourself alot of money and go straight thru the roof. Much easier to clean and service. If you are afraid to go thru the roof get a roofer to help. Have pipe up inn the attic and ready then roofer just cuts hole and installs roof jack and storm collar. Concidered a small job for a roofer.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I'm with rickwai on this ...go straight up with your vent.........or if your dining room doesn't have windows on the wall, my preferred location would be on the outside wall in the dining room.

Save yourself alot of money and go straight thru the roof. Much easier to clean and service. If you are afraid to go thru the roof get a roofer to help. Have pipe up inn the attic and ready then roofer just cuts hole and installs roof jack and storm collar. Concidered a small job for a roofer.

Would a chimney connector be used in this case to go through the attic and roof?

hey guys, thank you for the info, i was wanting to go through the closet just in case we didn't like the pellet stove route, it would be easier to put back to the way it was. However, after reading the stuff, I will go through the roof. I found a barely used lodi leyden on craigslist for 1350.00 looks brand new. I think i am going to go with that stove. I am sure i will have other questions as time goes on.l

Reactions: Madcodger
hey guys, thank you for the info, i was wanting to go through the closet just in case we didn't like the pellet stove route, it would be easier to put back to the way it was. However, after reading the stuff, I will go through the roof. I found a barely used lodi leyden on craigslist for 1350.00 looks brand new. I think i am going to go with that stove. I am sure i will have other questions as time goes on.l
Good decision to go through roof. Safer and better functionality in your situation. Not the place to skimp on either materials or labor. But I bet you'll love the heat. And DO figure out how to run an OAK, either through roof with pipe designed for it or some other route.

Also, watch how much you use the stove in "shoulder seasons", as we call them, if your goal is to save money. When there's a lot of heat in the air to extract (mid 30s and warmer) heat pumps are efficient. But when colder, the pellet is your friend. And of course the heat pump doesn't give you that nice, warm glow of a fire. Good luck, and welcome.

Would a chimney connector be used in this case to go through the attic and roof?
No. You mount a ceiling support box which supports weight of the pipe and provides a shield for the attic insulation so it is not near the pipe. Then you use a roof flashing where the pipe goes thru the roof.

Reactions: ZBrooks
Status
Not open for further replies.