My Husky 455 is not annoying enough, need help..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Things are a little slow here right now, so give me some functional-but bad advice. My 346XP is running like a champ, but it's a bit noisier than my 455. I am wondering if I gave the 455 the same muffler treatment as the 346XP, will it improve the performance in similar fashion? And annoy the neighbors as much?-(Plus I get to annoy my buddies neighbors) I'm just throwing this out there, 'cause I haven't done any checking on the X-Torq motor, or benefits to modding it. Anyone tried it? The 455 was purchased new in '09. The people who live here compliment me on my stacks, but the week-end-warriors who have property don't get it. :coolgrin:

BK,I do not own a 455 but I have the 445 and it is the X Torque.I had planned to do a mm on it but the x torque muffler is all but a hollow shell.If you decide to do a mod just make sure to richen it up.A special tool is availabe from your dealer.Ken

Hey Ken, my 346XP is nothing but an expansion chanber also. I opened up the port about 70% over stock and it helped quite a bit. I haven't yanked the muffler on the 455 yet, but if it's nothing more than an expansion chamber, it might respond equally as well as my other saw did. I just need to make the time to do it.

It is a different animal than the 346 & I don't think you'll see the same type of gains. From what I've read (not learned, just read;) they haven't restricted the mufflers much on x-torq saws since the strato function is what reduces emissions, therefore you don't get much gain from a muff mod. I'd read what you can over on arboristsite before opening the muffler on an X-torq saw.

MWC- So you're effectively saying I need a new saw. Yup, that's what I'm reading! The 455 stays stock, and I need a bigger saw. --- "Oh Honey, guess what I did today...?" :coolgrin:

Of course you need a bigger saw! Can't imagine how you've got along with just 2 for this long; What's it been 2,3 months since you bought (stole) that 346? lol
You could always sell the Rancher, that might go over better with the wife & bank balance. Not much point having a 50cc & a 55cc anyway. For the record I have nothing against the 455, it's a solid saw for firewood. In-fact I like the strato technology & I imagine we will end-up with better, cleaner & more efficient saws out of its development. It'll be very soon that the gains in power will more than offset the weight added. Sometimes regulation can actually spur technological advancements & I think this is one of those cases; We'll see.
Some guys are porting the X-torq saws now with apparently pretty good results, but it's all very experimental & way beyond my skill-level anyway.

you don't need to mod the muffler, you just need to use the saw at 4am....

4am, now that's just silly. Not me! I suppose I could CL an ad. for help wanted, zombie/Twilight people only need apply. Nah, I like MidWC thoughts- blah, blah blah, Buy a bigger saw you nitwit!,blah, blah, blah, Buy the biggest, noisiest thing you can't afford!, blah, blah, X-Torq is no match for an 880, quit being a WUSS!, blah, blah, blah. It's sinking in, slowly. OK, I'll start looking for a "new" saw! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.