My Ideal System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired

May 13, 2014
Northern Maine
Good Morning Team Hearth :)

I really like this forum. I have been reading it ever since I decided to move to Maine, where I have a sufficient supply of wood :) After much research and a few great replies to questions I had on other threads, I have purchased the major parts of my new system. Now comes the install, but I still need to purchase more stuff. And, as I really have not nailed down the exact system design, I still need to complete this too. I will be installing a completely new system with a new propane boiler as backup. What I have so far is the Varm Vedolux 37, one Aqualux Teknik 750, two Aqualux UB 1000s. I also have the LK 810 loading unit and two 66 gallon bladder expansion tanks. So, I think that I have the major parts for the wood boiler side of the house. I have seen a lot of ways to plumb this puppy, and a lot of what the authors even state are compromises, but what would be the ideal way to plumb this if you are starting from scratch with all new components? Is there a manufacturer's web site that provides this? Is there a book I need to buy? I also need to know system component relationships, like, where do the expansion tanks(s) physically sit in relationship to the boiler/tank/primary loop. Does it sit above, below, level, and to what? The house is a two story with basement. The system will be in the basement with 3 zones of baseboard heating and I will be adding a heating loop in the garage. Thanks again for any help :)

Check out Plumbing & Mechanical online. John Sigenthaler has written a few articles dealing with bio mass installs.

Hi Willman and Passion for Fire and Water

Thanks for the info. There is a lot there. But, the more that I have the better decisions I can make. It is always best to make a an educated decision. I think that between what I have gleans and what you have posted, I will finish my plan. Thanks again.

System design basics:

1. Get a good handle on your heat loss via an accurate load calculation. This cannot be over emphasized, or skipped if you want any valid reference point to work with for pump and tube sizing, flow rates required, etc.

2. Look at the design of the heat "emitter" part of the system and figure out what temperature drop you will generate from supply to return.

3. From 1 & 2, you can accurately determine the flow rate required to fill up the btu "train".

Once you know that you can start planning piping, pumps and controls. :)

I would like to thank everyone for the input. I seem to work a bit slow and methodical. Hopefully with all the advice and research I will have the system that I was originally dreaming up :) Maple 1, I do email back and forth with the supplier, and he has been a great deal of help. Thanks again.

When you do get that boiler running I'd like to check that out. Varm boilers look very well built. I like the fact that it seems like a low mass boiler,so I'm thinking less waste heat to heat up boiler.

Hi Sootsucka

Not sure if you got my reply. I sent a reply when the message showed up in my outlook, but it obviously doesn't post here. Did you receive anything? I will be happy to show you the system. I have it sitting in place and am about to begin plumbing. I should be ready to heat water in a couple of weeks and look for leaks :) After that I will plumb in the zones. I will keep you posted as to my progress so that you can check it out anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.