My Installation Log....Updated with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on the insert...

Friday I stay home from work (played sick) and cut down the standing dead tree in my yard. I think I got under a cord, probably close to 1/2 a cord. The tree has been dead for the last 2 years I lived here, so how long exactly I am not sure. The wood is pretty dry, make the clink noise when banged together. The stuff burns pretty good, but does not last long, but it is free.

I picked up a thermometer the other day. I tried it on the top of the insert, on the front above the door and on the side of the insert. I did notice a drop of about a 100 degrees when I put it on the front or side. So I keep it on the top. My temps are usually around 500-600 during a good fire, peaking at about 700. When I am down to coals, the fireplace will drop to about 300-400 degrees.

My father has been hunting down oak pallets for me. He grabbed a bunch the other day and cut them up. Six more he found today and is cutting them right now. When he stopped over to drop them off, I had a fire going with wood from the store and I threw a bunch of the oak on there. The fire was intense once they caught and I watched the temps spike up too 800 degrees. I was getting nervous, and shut the air down all the way. I checked for any red areas on the stove and did not find any. But that thing was cooking and after a few minutes the temps started to drop. Now I know to only put a few pieces of the oak on at a time.

So right now I am using the wood I cut down mixed with a couple pieces of oak pallets and my house is staying nice and warm. I cannot wait until next year when I will have some good seasoned wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.