My installation photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Jan 31, 2007
[quote author="Gooserider" date="1171951609"][quote author="Starter" date="1171910427"]Thanks for the information BeGreen and Gooserider.

[quote author="UncleRich" date="1171873523"]Man am I curious. I would really like to see that construction project. Any chance you could do a photo journalist documentation of the project? I am fascinated to see the differences and similarities. Don't want to put pressure on you, but it would be a real education to see the blend of the Old World skills, new (at least to us, 'mercans) products and techniques. Some European technologies are way ahead of the States.

Please, please, please?????[/quote]

Sure! I was planning to take some photos through the installation (if the guys installing wouldn't mind of course). I was going to ask if it was ok to make a thread about my installation, uploading the photos and you can see what material is used and how.

I'm glad I can sort of contribute something as well! :)[/quote]

It would be great to either start a new thread, or keep adding onto this one, whichever is easier... (If you do start a new thread, it would be good to put a link from this thread to the new one and vice versa, so that people can follow the entire story)

Seeing a good batch of pictures of the installation and so forth is a great way to contribute to our knowledge - this has been a fun project for us as well since we've had to look at how things are done outside the areas we are used to,

Gooserider[/quote]

So, here's the stuff I posted about with reference to this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6287/ , and this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6827/ .

In this first post I will illustrate the flue pipes, before they were installed.

In the first picture you'll see all the flues. The flexible 3 meter one at the back, plus the solid stainless stuff and other connections for a total of three storeys of flue.

The second picture is a close-up of the stainless 3 meter flexible flue.

The third and fourth pictures are a close-up of the remainder.
The flue is 8" if I remember correctly.

The last fifth picture is the written specifications on the flue pipe. Since I'm not in the USA there's no talk of class A and what I heard about here. But this is supposed to be OK for the EU.

I'll follow this up with more posts of the installation.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,069
pics 3 and 4.

[Edit: Pic 3 only. Guess I got to make these smaller to fit even though I thought I worked them to be less]

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 965
Pic 4 and hopefully I can get in Pic 5.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 938
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 951
Now here we come to starting the installation.

In the first picture you can see the insert just as it was released by crane into the front garden.

In the second picture there are the 'chimney lava pots' on the left, and the rest of the chimney stuff on the right lying in our corridor.

In the third picture you can see the empty space where the insert is supposed to be placed. There is also visible the material which is supposed to form the base upon which the insert will be resting.

In the fourth picture there is the base ready just waiting for the insert to be placed upon it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 995
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 950
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 928
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 921
Here in the first picture you can see a cross section of one of the 'lava chimney pots'. These pots will be shown in the next post as enclosing the flue in our daughter's bedroom.

In the second picture you can see the insert installed on its base, with flue connected.

In the third picture is a side-view of the insert.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 917
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 930
Now we come to the first floor. The work done in our daughter's bedroom.

As you can see in all 3 pictures the flue is enclosed on all sides by the 'lava chimney pots' of which I posted a cross-section picture earlier.

The first picture shows the enclosed flue with the vent at the bottom, which sucks cold air in.
Ultimately everything will be enclosed and tidied up. The vent won't remain a gaping big hole but will have a louvre-type small ventilator installed for the safety of possible prying fingers,

The second picture shows the same flue, but with the other vent near the top of the room from which warm air blows out. It will also be enclosed in a louvre-type small ventilator for safety.

The third picture shows a close-up of the bottom vent, with the flexible part of the flue still showing through the hole in the lava pots.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 940
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 983
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 945
The last picture for now is the flue pipe in the second storey.
That room is what we call the wash room. There's no activity there, other than giving access to the roof (which is flat in our case) and in that room I just keep two washing machines, and some lines on which to dry clothes.

For now what is visible is the flue pipe exiting from the floor of that room.

I still got to take other photos, of the completed flue pipe there, and of the chimney at the top.

Tomorrow I will take photos of the completed flue pipe in the top room, the chimney, and the ducts, one of which blows hot air into the bathroom on the first floor, and the other into the main bedroom on the same floor.

Please don't hesitate to ask me if you want me to clarify anything or post any other specific picture. Now is the time to take pictures since the works are still bare for viewing and uncovered!

Thanks for reading, and I hope I contributed.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 907
Very interesting, thanks for posting - I'm sure this installation is something that most us us have never really seen. Is there anything in the floor/ceiling that protects it from the heat of the flue? It looks like a hole is cut in the floor the same size as the flue pipe, and the flex pile simply passes through it.

Maybe my question will be cleared up with the other pictures, but from the pictures in the last thread, you have the flexible flue up through 2 floors. In your daughters bedroom, it was enclosed by the chimney blocks, which is vented to provide heat in that room.

Then there will be 2 seperate air ducts which will carry heated air to different rooms in the house?

Again, thanks for sharing.... looking forward to the next round of pictures.

where are all the clearances? I have never seen flex pipe installed through a floor like that. Is the floor completly non combustable? Usually every penetration would have at least a firestop.. but thats here in the states, i dont know anything about your local code.

Does give you a double-take doesn't it? I think most everything is non-combustible. Think of a concrete house. Is this correct Starter?

What I can't figure is why the offset? I would have centered the stove in the room. That's going to be an interesting chase to cover the offset.

Even if the walls are concrete, what about the paint? Isn't the paint considered flammable? Or at the very least once is stink like hell when it heats.

Yes, the pipe is in the correct location to miss the windows. What I meant why is the stove position offset so much from the center of the room?

It does look like insulation and why wasn't the cement block continued through the ceiling to the 2nd floor room?

Didnt she say in the other thread that they had already had a fire in the stove? These must be the distribution stacks not the main flue or they wouldnt have been able to stay in the house. Im guessing the dist temps must be way lower then the chimney.

I think they are flue shots :)

The first thread was later on.

I agree I hope it's all non-combustible, as the pipe looks to me like a stainless version of our single-wall black stovepipe. However Starter did say in the earlier threads that their construction was much more non-combustible than ours is, so I'm guessing it's OK.

I don't know if it's legal in the US or not, but I do like the setup for the daughters bedroom. Gets some of the heat off the stovepipe without exposing it to being a fire hazard, and allows some limits on how much heat they get so the pipe won't be cooled to much.

Gooserider

But where do the other 2 Distribution pipes go then? I thought thats waht they were there for? You may need to look at the other thread to see them.

I have enough going on in my town state. I can't solve al of the world problems, but single wall pipe is 18" to combustiables everywhwre .Not suitable for threw floor penetrations be they combustiable or not. Once one converts to Class A for the floor or wall penetration ,one can not go back to single wall pipe. Never have see free standing liner used for connector pipe like this either. But again like someon said, maybe all is concrete and its not an issue

Harley said:
Very interesting, thanks for posting - I'm sure this installation is something that most us us have never really seen. Is there anything in the floor/ceiling that protects it from the heat of the flue? It looks like a hole is cut in the floor the same size as the flue pipe, and the flex pile simply passes through it.

Maybe my question will be cleared up with the other pictures, but from the pictures in the last thread, you have the flexible flue up through 2 floors. In your daughters bedroom, it was enclosed by the chimney blocks, which is vented to provide heat in that room.

Then there will be 2 seperate air ducts which will carry heated air to different rooms in the house?

Again, thanks for sharing.... looking forward to the next round of pictures.

There is insulation which protects the floor/ceiling from the heat of the flue. It's the same insulation stuff that appears behind the stove. I'll take a closer picture, though it really isn't that visible because it's packed quite tight.

The flexible flue goe up from the stove, to the first storey (daughter's bedroom). It goes up exactly 3 meters from the stove top. That'd be approximately 9 feet. In fact, from the bottom vent in daughter's bedroom I see the flexible flue, and from the top vent I see the solid flue.

The flue was made flexible in order to bend neatly to the right so that on the topmost floor the flue wouldn't pass right in front of a window.

On the top of the stove you can see 2 separate air ducts. Both emerge on the first storey, one in the bathroom and another one in our bedroom.

I'll be taking photos of the ducts tomorrow. They're still clearly visible since we haven't yet installed a soffit (false roofing) in the bathroom.

I think it might be clearer if you click my first thread (quoted in first post here) entitled "One fireplace to heat three rooms" since there I uploaded a picture of the floorplan of the house.

I'm planning to install smoke detectors tomorrow, for safety.

Here houses are totally built of non-combustible material. Walls are of limestone, floors are concrete/cement with ceramic tiles. We do not use any wood or combustible materials in construction here. I have no parquet (wood) flooring, nor any fitted carpets, or any carpets whatsoever around the area where the stove is or in the vicinity of the flue.

The paint... I didn't think about it, it's water-paint, no wallpaper or anything, just waterpaint over the stone. I think water paint is not flammable. I did light a couple of hefty fires - I love a good blaze while my husband prefers having it run on charred smouldering embers with a couple of tiny flames. But so far so good, the paint didn't stink, there was no damage whatsoever. Not even any changes.

Yes everything is stainless steel, apart from the two ducts which are of flexible aluminium.

OK that solves the main concern... distance to combustables. Good thing its all concrete and rock

Smoke detectors are great, please consider CO2 also, very cheap.......considering what they can do for you and your family.

I don't know where you live, but my CO2 (2) detectors were about 22 dollars each.

Robbie

Flexible aluminum? That just doesn't sound right or healthy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.