My Jotul 400 update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I let nearly a week go by since I posted any questions, and this is what I learned so far...... I bought an ir meter and found that.my stove top thermometer was consistently reading 100º too high. Even though I watched the fire, I went by the thermometer. This caused me so shut down alittle soon, getting poor fires, dirty glass, ect. Now that I have an ir meter, things have been better. I found some patience and didn't poke, add wood, ect, and just let it be. Outside temps have been mild, so used the stove mainly at night. Burns did fluxuate here and there, burn times anywhere from 5 hrs to 10 hours. Another thing I noticed was that the ash pan was really full so I emptied it, and the fire ran even better, but don't know why exactly. My goal is to run 24/7 as much as possible, but during the real cold nights, I know I'll have to reload at least once to keep the house from freezing while it is down in the last coal stage. Overall I am very pleased with this stove, and it does what I paid for it to do. Bye bye oil

Way to go Backwoods. Finding out what works for you and your stove sure is rewarding.

Good news. Glad it is all working out for you.

On the overnight reloads- it all depends on how hot you want your house in the morning. Most morning if I load the stove up at night, the temperature willl drop but I can still see 70 degrees downstairs when I come down after my usual 7 hours of sleep.

Backwoods said:
I let nearly a week go by since I posted any questions, and this is what I learned so far...... I bought an ir meter and found that.my stove top thermometer was consistently reading 100' too high. Even though I watched the fire, I went by the thermometer. This caused me so shut down alittle soon, getting poor fires, dirty glass, ect. Now that I have an ir meter, things have been better. I found some patience and didn't poke, add wood, ect, and just let it be. Outside temps have been mild, so used the stove mainly at night. Burns did fluxuate here and there, burn times anywhere from 5 hrs to 10 hours. Another thing I noticed was that the ash pan was really full so I emptied it, and the fire ran even better, but don't know why exactly. My goal is to run 24/7 as much as possible, but during the real cold nights, I know I'll have to reload at least once to keep the house from freezing while it is down in the last coal stage. Overall I am very pleased with this stove, and it does what I paid for it to do. Bye bye oil

Thats what I've been saying over the last 10years. Enjoy.TY

Status
Not open for further replies.