My Journey with a Castle Serenity Pellet Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those of you with the Serenity, how hot does your vent pipe get? Can you lay your hand on it no problem or is it too hot? Mine I can touch with my finger for a second or so before I have to remove it. Kind of concerns me since some people say they can hold their hand on the pipe no problem, although with different stoves.

Well, the journey continues. The Serenity has been a true joy, although the door gasket has lived its life. Now midway into it's third season it is apparent it needs replaced. Got this (pic) for a replacement and will do so tomorrow. I'll post more pictures after I'm done, you know, the old failing one, the new one installed, etc., etc..
IMG_20171213_170419333.jpg

Well, the journey continues. The Serenity has been a true joy, although the door gasket has lived its life. Now midway into it's third season it is apparent it needs replaced. Got this (pic) for a replacement and will do so tomorrow. I'll post more pictures after I'm done, you know, the old failing one, the new one installed, etc., etc..
View attachment 217801

How’s your burn pot doing after 3 years? Mine is pretty beat up and is warping to the point it’s getting hard to take out.

How’s your burn pot doing after 3 years? Mine is pretty beat up and is warping to the point it’s getting hard to take out.
Mine is doing extremely well so far. I clean it probably every other day (cause it's so easy) and about once a month I re-do the holes with a 13/64" drill bit. Don't know if that helps or not but it doesn't seem to hurt it any. Those holes do tend to fill up with residue.

Reactions: rich2500
This is roughly the steps I took to replace the gasket.
IMG_20171214_092415413.jpg
Items I used, I also used a dust mask, flat bladed screw driver and a vacuum.

IMG_20171214_110607860.jpg IMG_20171214_110627931.jpg Pix of the failed door gasket. Don't have a clue what caused this, as it seems a bit premature.

IMG_20171214_112341858.jpg After I scraped out the old gasket with the screw driver.

IMG_20171214_114113340.jpg After using the smaller wire wheel and the drill. Vacuumed real good. The reddish coloring on the latch side must be a reflection from the floor (?) as it was down to shiney metal.

IMG_20171214_115541420.jpg Gasket attached after using the included cement as per instructions. Cut gasket and closed door to set it real good.

The instructions say to let it air dry for at least an hour with the door open before firing up the stove to cure. I don't foresee any problems and will be firing it up later this afternoon. If any problems occur, I'll report back.
Might not be the absolute correct way but it's how I did it.

Reactions: bogieb
I'm reporting back with 1 problem....... I waited too long to do the replacement ;lol.
I can burn 48+ hours before feeling the need to clean the glass now. I won't be putting it off as long should the need arise again ;).

Reactions: bogieb and bags
Yeah, I'm about due or overdue for the gaskets on my P68. I think the factory white ropes are maxed out and done after two good seasons.

I was going to replace mine but the cold cold beat me to that so I fired it up and off we went. I just fluff the gaskets occasionally and that does the trick for now. Either with a tool sliding around the edges while hot or hit it with the vac. Either works fine.

Yeah, I'm about due or overdue for the gaskets on my P68. I think the factory white ropes are maxed out and done after two good seasons.

I was going to replace mine but the cold cold beat me to that so I fired it up and off we went. I just fluff the gaskets occasionally and that does the trick for now. Either with a tool sliding around the edges while hot or hit it with the vac. Either works fine.
I like the Graphite Impregnated rope gasket much better!

Reactions: bags and GT_Sharp
Thanks for the mini write-up on the seal replacement. I need to do this with mine as well. I have one season on it and it's frayed at the corner and there is a gap at the bottom-middle.

Where did you get your new seal kit? I think Home Depot/Lowes has kits but I am not sure if they will work with the Serenity.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
Thanks for the mini write-up on the seal replacement. I need to do this with mine as well. I have one season on it and it's frayed at the corner and there is a gap at the bottom-middle.

Where did you get your new seal kit? I think Home Depot/Lowes has kits but I am not sure if they will work with the Serenity.
I got mine thru Home Depot. They did not stock it in store so I had it shipped to the store and picked up when it came in. They were accurate on their shipping time. Here's the link https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rutland...n_STH_BOSS_3091372-_-product_desc__W810767912
Make sure you get the (round ) rope one and not the flat tape one. When I need to do it again I would go thru Home Depot again, easy breezy.

Tractor Supply has rope kits on the shelf cheap. Many other hardware stores etc also stock them. It is universal stuff and not brand specific just the diameter or the rope needed is stove door specific Most are 3/8 and 1/2 inch to 5/8 ths on most wood and pellet burners.

That said, ropes can get big like on my Woodmaster 5500 which uses 1 inch gasket rope on the fire door. So be sure to match up the correct size or research it and do not stretch the rope when doing the new install. You will notice the door is a tight shut once your new one goes in which is good.

Many threads here on rope replacement procedure. Give it a look and use the search bar. You'll get plenty of results and recommendations.

....... just the diameter or the rope needed is stove door specific Most are 3/8 and 1/2 inch to 5/8 ths on most wood and pellet burners......
The Serenity pellet stove door requires 3/4" rope.

Bought new graphite ropes for my P68 yesterday to have on hand. Cold snap starting tonight for awhile so that project will wait but maybe next warm up I may tackle it. I did the PC 45 ropes when I brought it home. Should have done them this summer but the broken back, ribs, and mangled up leg from a bike wreck took that off of the to do list. I've been playing catch up here for awhile now....

Got my stove from Atrtisam's ebay store for $750 free ship to dock. I have a church friend who is a dock mgr so he received it and delivered it on my porch 6 ft from install spot.It had bends in the back panel and a frayed door gasket. I was supposed to be like new demo. They sent me a new back panel and gasket. And as discount for damage and they gave me a $50 rebate.They are top notch in my book for customer service. Right now the stove is on (1) as the sun is shining in the sun porch. It is around 32 and very windy. The air coming in the window fan at the top of the porch window is 86. The LR is 76.
1110171612.jpg

Bag's, I understand the back up. We ride but I fell from a hastily placed ladder putting up spouting. Femur snapped like a stick when I fell on top of the ladder. Set me back for a year. Thank God for friends/family.

To my pellet burning friends: Merry Christmas and may God bless and keep you in this next year ahead.