My letter to the review board requesting reinstatement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Review Board.
CC / Kim

My situation is a bit unique. I am a part time local /mechanical inspector in the town of ----------. I am paid via per inspection basis. I am not reimbursed to attend seminars nor, is there a budget to support online education. Like most towns, our budget is requested to be reduced not added to. Each day I attend a seminar, I loose an entire day’s pay. With two children in college, I cannot afford days of lost pay.

This letter is to inform the powers that be, that I have expanded my educational base beyond common means. First, I want to clarify, I have not been awarded credits earned for attending theIntercostals seminars each of the past two falls sponsored by SEMBOA. These are all day seminars, where the attending inspectors compare notes and interact, plus do a little fishing.

Last March at the monthly SEMBOA, I presented a 90-minute Seminar concerning solid fuel burning appliance inspections and mechanical inspections. I prepared over 40 hours and only covered about 1/3 the material. The seminar developed into discussions. It seems there is a real need to educate inspectors, concerning mechanical codes inspections and wood/pellet stove installations. Every person left the room with more knowledge than before. More questions were asked than time to answer. More material need to be addressed. SEMBOA asked if I would present additional seminars at the Second Mass Building Inspector Convention, this past week at Bridgewater State College. Under the title of Ventilation, I gave 90-minute seminars each day. Plus attend the entire convention both days. The Seminars were a tremendous success. And I have been asked, if I would be willing to present one the western Ma chapter by Chip. Again I prepared materials for residential rough and final Mechanical Inspections and the seminar concerning solid fuel burning appliances. With the use of a scanner and Adobe Acrobat, I prepared my laptop to interface with an over head projector. As one can imagine quite a bit of time and prep was involved. Again discussions prevented me from completing one session. The knowledge I posses cannot be presented in 90 minutes, in either seminar and from the questioning and discussions. There is a real need to further educate our inspectors in the mechanical codes.

Education is an everyday process, not just recorded by credits earned in seminar attendance. I have another education source. I participate almost daily onHearthnet forums. Hearthnet deals and discusses solid fuel burning appliances. The number one trafficked site on the web. Participating in forum discussions is professional in all facets of the business, installers. chimney sweeper’s, retailers, Factory reps, and consumers.
Real world installation issues and safety issues are hashed out everyday. It is here, I gain my most knowledge and experiences to bring forward to my seminars. My post and code advice has saved lives. I believe my influence, has made thousands of installations safer threw out USA and Canada. The format of the form is not restricted to solid fuel burning appliances but to heating systems, energy conservation, bath fans. Dryer exhaust supply and return locations. Permitting process codes, code change announcements, it a melting pot of Mechanical applications. More can be learned from discussed there than found in any text book or attending seminars.
I would hope you reviewers; consider all the efforts I have made to be better at my job. And find I am worthy of reinstatement.

Rough draft still editing my mistakes

That is a extremely well written letter, Elk. You make a compelling case for why you should be reinstated. I am sure the review board will consider presenting at a seminar well above par when considering most people are required only to attend it. For documentation, if you are allowed to submit it, you should just send a copy of the whole presentation slides. If there is a video, I would send that too. Good luck - you did your very best, and in the end that's all you can do.

elkimmeg said:
has made thousands of installations safer through out USA and Canada. The format of the form is not restricted to solid fuel burning appliances but to heating systems, energy conservation, bath fans, dryer exhaust supply and return locations, permitting process codes, and code change announcements. It is a melting pot of Mechanical applications.

I would hope you reviewers consider all the efforts I have made to be better at my job, and find I am worthy of reinstatement.

Rough draft still editing my mistakes

I made some minor corrections. Hope it helps :)

Sounds like a very well worded letter!!!

elkimmeg said:
Review Board.
These are all day seminars, where the attending inspectors compare notes and interact, plus do a little fishing.

I would dump that last part. If you have one person on the review board looking for an excuse they could blow that totally out of proportion. It makes the seminars sound more like a leisurely get together where you happen to discuss business (as opposed to the other way around)

Status
Not open for further replies.