My life just got easier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
The DefiantNC took a handcart ride out of the house last week. The F600 took its place on Saturday. Had the first real fire last night. We didn't worry about the depth of the coal bed, the precise orientation of splits, whether we heard a rumble, or have to hawk over the stove for a backpuff or a stall. We just lit a fire, got it hot, turned down the air a little, and relaxed by the stove. We should have done this a lot earlier. I'm almost sad that it's warming up and we won't be able to really crank it up. With five cords of white oak entering its second summer in the yard, this next burning season is going to be a real treat.

Really happy to hear that. I had a similar experience changing to a new stove this past spring. Admittedly, the old stove didn't take a lot of day to day babying, but it did seem to use "parts". So far, the new stove isn't showing any signs of wear. I saw a couple of squares on the cat that are crumbling, but I think that's normal. I've already burned about 4 cords through this unit when I count late last season's burning plus 24/7 this winter. I'm happy.

Maybe a bigger stove?!

With all that white oak you should be in good shape for next winter. But do yourself a favor by not burning it during the fall. Save it for the really cold weather and you'll greatly appreciate it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.