My little idea is turning into a nice business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
drozenski said:
smokinjay said:
drozenski said:
Update. The good and the Bad :(

Well the bad news first. After looking into hiring a employee i am backing out. The insurance company wants $790 a month mostly because the employee will be working with dangerious equipment alone. So im holding off on insurance and an employee for now.

One of my new suppliers has backed out for the time being. He knows im a 1 man operation at the moment and he doesn't feel i can handle the load of all three tree trimmers. He's all for getting back in business once i have things straightened out.

The logs splitter i was using i no longer have access to. My buddy is moving and my semi permanet "borrow" has just been revoked :(

Now for the good.

I signed with the second tree trimming service. I get my first loads in two weeks. Im getting paid $120 per load of trees.

My .28 acres is filling up fast. I went out and did about 3 hours of cutting wendesday. I got piles of logs and rounds everywhere and am running out of space. Im currently looking into a new property closer to my home 1.11 acres and it's comercial so im golden.

Currently saving for a new splitter or two. I dont want to invest into a huge tree processing plant. i've seen a few on craigslist for 13-16k but im going to wait at least a year. Also many of them wont take the trees that are all twisty like trimmers often cut. Any one have a recomendation on a splitter? Something fast that myself or my wife could use.

Also this week i've had 7 orders of wood come in. Each for 1 FC. I'm surprised at just how many people want wood and dont care it's not seasoned. I tell each and every person that calls and most are like, whatever it burns bring me a load pease.

So for sales im currently up
3 loads delivered x 80 = $240
1 load delivered and stacked x 65 = $65 (Really nice 79 year old lady on my street) MAKES AWESOME COOKIES!
3 loads picked up x 65 = $195
Total = $500

I still need to figure out tax and such. Im not charging sales tax cause im not an "official business" but i know i will soon. I need to hit up town hall and get my lisence

Insure it as a landscape company. I pay 120.00 bucks a month with work men comp. and 1/2 million in liability! Dont know what crazy company your talking to. I have myself and 2 part-time people.

Their reasoning was that 1 my current propery is set back and cant be seen from the road, the person is alone working with a chain saw all day. If they got hurt and he was unable to reach a cell phone then no one would hear his cries for help

I dont own the new propery yet, it's on a main road and visable by several business/homes so im sure it will be much less their.

Oh and i was talking with Liberty Mutual.

Rubbish.....Landscape company runs all kinds of equiment where your doing it means nothing.....Trying to find my email for them now...I drop tree's around houses and garages phone lines and everthing else. What I cant do is climb the tree. (I call someone who has there own insurance if I have to) Normally walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.