My Load Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Still gathering from the day we rented the splitter. Here is today's pickup from the field. Split the load with my neighbor who owns the property, so we picked up twice as much as you see in this picture. The white on the outside seemed pretty punky, but the redish wood seemed to be pretty good - although it looks rather 'stringy'. I was told it was either Black Locust or Chestnut Oak. I'm leaning toward Chestnut Oak due to the acorns around the trees.

I think it was a pretty productive hour and a half. Now I've just got to build that other wood rack and get it stacked - probably build the rack in a few minutes. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 406
I need to make this snow melt so I can get out there and be productive too.

Oozing w/ jealousy.

pen

Nice load of wood. I am jealous I have wood to process < Approx 8 cords> but I really dont have the time to do it right now. and when I do have the time to do it its either raining or colder than a well diggers hand. The weather has to break sometime

Jeff

Always more fun to split and haul with a friend. Nice piles.

jhoff310 said:
Nice load of wood. I am jealous I have wood to process < Approx 8 cords> but I really dont have the time to do it right now. and when I do have the time to do it its either raining or colder than a well diggers hand. The weather has to break sometime

Jeff

I've been thinking the same thing for weeks. We've warmed up quite a bit, but it has been raining for days on end. If it is sunny, I am not able to get out because of prior obligations. Today just sort of 'happened'. It felt great to get some wood picked up. Still have about another load like this one left. Whoo Hooo!!!

I am looking forward to collecting wood also, but I'm not ready for the snow to melt yet! there's still 2 months left in the ski season!

Built the wood rack and put it in the shed. This will keep it out of sight and still allow me to open it up and get some air in there. =) Here is one with it with just the rack, then one with the other stuff in the shed, then one of the view behind the shed. Love it!

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 302
WoodpileOCD said:
Always more fun to split and haul with a friend. Nice piles.

I meant to say - I split the rewards with him, not the work. =) But I did have my brother helping me load and unload yesterday, so I wasn't alone. And yes, much nicer to do that with someone.

Brian, that looks real nice. Also, I'm with you in that I usually find acorns only under oak trees...

Backwoods Savage said:
Brian, that looks real nice. Also, I'm with you in that I usually find acorns only under oak trees...

Yeah, that's kind of a give away. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.