My local pellet guy says sales off 50%.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
Talked to my local pellet guy today and he said he's down 50% on pellet sales compared to past seasons. I asked him why ? And he said since natural gas is low and local big box stores are undercutting his pellet prices by $ 32.00 a ton .The big box stores keep their pellets outside and he keeps his inside. On a side note I called the big bix store to get a price on rock salt and was told $ 6.77 a bag, but t hey would beat any other stores price by 10%. I bought from the local guy for $4.70 a bag .

gonna pig out when the prices take a nose dive if this is true.

Oink, oink, slurp, sluuuurrrrrpppp!! Oink, OOiiNNNNKKKKK!!!!! Let me belly up to the pellets ..... yummmmmmmm!!!!!

My dealer is offering 4 tons of free pellets with any stove purchase. They have a Kozi shop heater that I looked at for $2200.00. Subtract the $800.00 of free pellets and the energy credit and you have a pretty inexpensive stove.

krooser said:
My dealer is offering 4 tons of free pellets with any stove purchase. They have a Kozi shop heater that I looked at for $2200.00. Subtract the $800.00 of free pellets and the energy credit and you have a pretty inexpensive stove.

And then ya can sell the stove NIB for a grand and put the change in yer pocket. Probably wouldn't get caught. Probably, .....oops, gotta go, somebody at the door, lights in the driveway, noooooooooooo................................aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh....

Wouldn't it be nice to see pellets below $200.00 again.

I have been burning more NG than pellets because it is much cheaper but I still like the heat from the stove so let the prices drop, I'm ready to burn!

Not surprised to see pellets selling 50% less than last year, last year oil was through the roof (at least at the beginning of the season) and everyone ran out to get a pellet stove.

Pellet companies couldn't keep up with the demand.

This year I think alot of pellet companies were expecting a big year however low oil prices is keeping alot of pellet owners burning oil this year.

JoeS said:
Wouldn't it be nice to see pellets below $200.00 again.

I have been burning more NG than pellets because it is much cheaper but I still like the heat from the stove so let the prices drop, I'm ready to burn!

I would love to see pellets at or below $200/ton. We bought our pellet stove last season when oil went thru the roof. I was one of the people who thought oil was going to stay high forever and wanted a cheaper option. Then pellets went up in price and I wanted to kick myself, we will still save a little money this year using pellets over fuel oil (around $400). Now into my second season with the stove what I like most about having the pellet stove is that I have options! If oil goes about $2.25 or $2.30 a gal I burn pellets that I can get for around $250/ton. If oil goes down I burn oil. I will be needing a new furnace in the near future but having that pellets stove has eased that worry for me, I just don't use the furnace as much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.