My locust stash cut dead standing 5 years ago.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Forty eight feet
locust.jpeg locust1.jpeg locust2.jpeg
3 stacks about 6 feet tall.

Last edited by a moderator:
you done good pilgrim

Black Locust judging by the bark on some of the larger dia. pieces

i just had a friend cut down a locust tree... i am getting to split and stack that one this weekend :)

Nice job looks great. Locust is great wood, just finished up about a week ago stacking all mine up. Best firewood out there.

Looks fantastic. Have you moisture metered any? I am curious what the big unsplit rounds are.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Great firewood! I have about 4 cord of locust in its fourth year. 15%.

Black Locust right at the top of btu charts Honeyl Locust not far behind both rival Oak , Blue Beech, Rock Maple.

Now get this a contractor 3 miles from my house just cleared a lot to build a home on ,about 20 locust trees were taken down,largest about 20 inches diameter guess who's getting them,since the homeowner has no use for them?Pictures soon,no pics it didn't happen.This cops job sure has benefits over and above the obvious.:)

so the contractor is going to drive them to your house for you too?

No my friend has about 50 Mack dump trucks,he's going to go get them for me,there's a machine at the site to load them they were cut in about 10 foot lengths max,life is good.

super jealous... i tried to convince my wife i needed a dump truck...

I have two huge black locust trees coming down on my property. I always assumed locust would season in about 12 months if c/s/s. Is that accurate?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have two huge black locust trees coming down on my property. I always assumed locust would season in about 12 months if c/s/s. Is that accurate?

My experience says no,it takes a year for the bark to fall off on fresh cut.About 90% of my locust had been standing dead for at least 10 years according to the landowner where I cut it.If you'll notice some of my rounds still have bark attached that were fresh cut. This is my experience others may have had different experiences.

Reactions: heavy hammer

My experience is that locust burns ok after 12 months (better than oak at 12 months) but burns much better if you give it two full summers css. It's great firewood.

dafattkidd is correct. At one year, you get a coaling burn. At two years you actually get locust that ignites more easily, flames and then a good charcoal burn. Let it sit.

dafattkidd is correct. At one year, you get a coaling burn. At two years you actually get locust that ignites more easily, flames and then a good charcoal burn. Let it sit.
Thanks for the replies gents. It's gonna sit just by virtue of how much other wood I've got split and dried in line ahead of a tree that will just be coming down this year. I'm actually burning some 2 season locust this year by coincidence, but the next year+ will be all EAB wood.

Thanks again!

this is what my friend gave me the other day.... i think i'm going to spend friday with the saw and the splitter, so that should be fun. I think this guy will go in the way way back pile :)

20160919_190044.jpg 20160919_192120.jpg

Reactions: Woody Stover
My experience says no,it takes a year for the bark to fall off on fresh cut.About 90% of my locust had been standing dead for at least 10 years according to the landowner where I cut it.If you'll notice some of my rounds still have bark attached that were fresh cut. This is my experience others may have had different experiences.

The last batch I got of BL was dead 26 years! It was cut and split and still was fresh and beautifully colored. This is the third year I am using it, and burns better each year.

Yes, and a box of donuts too. ;)
The last batch I got of BL was dead 26 years! It was cut and split and still was fresh and beautifully colored.
I've found small ones lying on the ground with all the bark off. The end cut was more brown than green. Meter said about 18%.

Now get this a contractor 3 miles from my house just cleared a lot to build a home on ,about 20 locust trees were taken down,largest about 20 inches diameter guess who's getting them
Yeah man, you have a better chance of hitting the pick 5, nice hook up!

Status
Not open for further replies.