1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My Log Splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by stanleyjohn, Dec 16, 2012.

1. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southcentral Ct

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Your link does not work correctly to view pictures for me, just comes up as a organizational function.
  3. stanleyjohn

Loc:
    southcentral Ct
    Kinda new to Flicker! Try the link again:)
  4. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Yeah, never heard of it. However, I am not the most knowledgeable about ancient splitters. Only been using a splitter for 15 years, and even then did not know much about them until recently in trying to decide which splitter to buy for myself. Actually decided to build my own. Now, trying to decide on the welder to buy and the materials I am going to need.

Another thing to consider is that the splitter might be one that was built by somebody and the brand name is only for the cylinder. From what I have seen, it really is not hard to weld together a splitter once you learn how to use a welder. The internet is a wonderful thing.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Typical splitter before vertical & horizontal became popular.
    Nothing wrong with them. Many home-made splitters built basically the same.
    For me, so low to the ground I had to work on my knees, was hard on the back & bending over all day.

Should work great. Parts kinda generic if any are needed.
    I bet it splits wood just fine ;) :)

spltr.jpg
    TreePointer likes this.
  6. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Whenever I see an old wedge-on-beam splitter that's low to the ground, my first thought is Lickety Splitter; but the one pictured doesn't have the "Lickety" look. I'd say it's a homemade job or maybe a frankensplitter with many new and old parts mixed.
  7. stanleyjohn

Loc:
    southcentral Ct
    I dont mind low to the ground! Getting older and cant lift like a 20 yr old anymore.It handles 20+ inch width logs with no problems! Its just my back that i need to worry about.:)
  8. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Yeah, I was anti horizontal splitters until I saw one with a hydraulic log lifter on it. Don't know if that is an option on your splitter the way it is, but it very well might be if the engine and pump can handle it and you learn how to weld. Now, I am trying to design a horizontal log splitter with a hydraulic log lift and hydraulic 4 way blade lift that I can work on completing down the road.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Atta boy fabs! ;)

To the OP, only tid bit of info I found.

The link on that page takes you to 404 land so perhaps Vann Industries is now defunct.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Trade mark for VANN expired in 1992. Mfg of tobacco handling/harvesting stuff. Looks defunct as a company.

(my googlefu is strong)
    granpajohn likes this.
  11. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    Well, heck. My family heirloom splitter has the same Vann Industries marking. Until I read through this, I thought Vann just made the ram. Mine is much smaller, but maybe the same ram. I'm told that the engine on mine is a replacement also (B&S 5hp).
    Mine is probably from the 1970s, maybe early 80s. Will post a pic after the XYL gets home with the camera.
  12. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I like the full size tires and engine mounted "out of the way."
  13. stanleyjohn

Loc:
    southcentral Ct
    Thanks for all the nice input! This splitter works very well and hoping it lasts a long time to come! It looks well built,solid with no cheap parts on it.With such a long piston on it i can split two logs at one time which saves time.I stand corrected from my brother! The orignial parts look well built but the new engine is made in china but so far it runs well.