My lucks run out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
So on my first 2 chimney installs I had the good fortune of hitting the roof framing just right. Now on my current install I drilled a pilot hole in the center of my chimney location. Then when I looked in the attic it is only 3 inches off of the ceiling rafter. So my 2 options are either head off the ceiling rafter or move the chimney location 3 inches and have an offset after the chimney adapter. I am leaning toward do the reframing and heading off the ceiling rafter to make the install cleaner and not effect my draft with an offset. Any thoughts?

Frame it off, similar to framing an opening in a floor.
Double header on the rafter above & below the opening,
then run parallel to the rafter on either side of the opening,
maintaining your clearance to combustibles.

Yep what Daksy said. real easy, Frame it out. Just make sure your framed out box is 90 degrees to the floor the stove sits on. You want a straight chimney.

I would rather deal with the framing one time than the elbow(s) everytime i brush the pipe.

Can't move the stove 3"?

Its another option...

I built the hearth large for some flexibility but I only have 18.5 inches infront of the door currently so not an option to come forward 3 more inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.