My lucky day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
Living in the country has its advantages. I have access to all the wood I could ever need. Today my neighbor across the road stopped me and asked if I would help him clean his fenceline and pastures of Ossage orange. I cannot believe how much he must have. Seven huge trees just in a row. He will cut out tops. I cut main limbs and trunk. He will haul them out to be cut into firewood. May need to get some extra chains for the saw. Good haul for next year I hope!

MICHAEL H said:
Living in the country has its advantages. I have access to all the wood I could ever need. Today my neighbor across the road stopped me and asked if I would help him clean his fenceline and pastures of Ossage orange. I cannot believe how much he must have. Seven huge trees just in a row. He will cut out tops. I cut main limbs and trunk. He will haul them out to be cut into firewood. May need to get some extra chains for the saw. Good haul for next year I hope!

That hedge will take 2 years min. What saw you plan on using?

MICHAEL H said:
Thanks for the advice on seasoning. I guess I will have a good haul in two years. As for saw. Sthil MS361 with 18 inch bar.

sweeet, your right couple more chains and your ready.

MICHAEL H said:
Michael H, I envy you. I used to cut nothing but hedge. But I don't have many opportunities anymore. All the hedge rows are gone around here. Farmers bulldozed them out. I stacked cris-cross ends on my log rack ends over twenty years ago. Every year, I leave the ends (hedge) so I don't have to stack ends again. I will admit, it has weathered, but it is still there and solid. Imagine how seasoned that stuff is :exclaim:

Thats amazing. Twenty years and still doing the job. I hope it burns as everyone has said. Looking forward to getting started. So where in Illinois are you from? I grew up in southern ill. Went to school at U of I. Family is still living in the southern half.

tfdchief said:
I stacked cris-cross ends on my log rack ends over twenty years ago. Every year, I leave the ends (hedge) so I don't have to stack ends again...
What a waste of good wood and space. For a few years I was using Poplar for my ends and for the bottom row but realized it was just wasting space. Now I modified my shed so I don't need to crib the ends and gained a few cords of useful storage.

MICHAEL H said:
Thats amazing. Twenty years and still doing the job. I hope it burns as everyone has said. Looking forward to getting started. So where in Illinois are you from? I grew up in southern ill. Went to school at U of I. Family is still living in the southern half.
Michael H, Tuscola, just 25 minutes south of the U o I. I graduated from EIU in 70. I hunted in Southern IL for 35 years. My Dad owned about 80 acres in Johnson County just south of the prison. By brother owns it now and goes there often.

LLigetfa said:
tfdchief said:
I stacked cris-cross ends on my log rack ends over twenty years ago. Every year, I leave the ends (hedge) so I don't have to stack ends again...
What a waste of good wood and space. For a few years I was using Poplar for my ends and for the bottom row but realized it was just wasting space. Now I modified my shed so I don't need to crib the ends and gained a few cords of useful storage.
LLigetfa, You are right, but I am lazy! %-P I don't really need the storage and have said every year I would burn it if I needed it, but haven't, so it just sits there doing its job. :)

tfdchief said:
LLigetfa, You are right, but I am lazy! %-P I don't really need the storage and have said every year I would burn it if I needed it, but haven't, so it just sits there doing its job. :)
Ja me too, except the time came that I did need it and was too lazy to make new crib ends.

I try to keep two years worth in my shed but for some reason I seem to burn more wood now than I used to and so now I need the extra space. The older we get the warmer we want it.

I try to keep two years worth in my shed but for some reason I seem to burn more wood now than I used to and so now I need the extra space. The older we get the warmer we want it.
I have noticed that too! Glad it is not just me. The old stove feels good on the old bones! Merry Christmas.

tdfchief: Small world. My grandfather lived right outside Johnson Cty. We used to drive in to Vienna whenever we needed something. Lots of good hunting there and in Pope Cty. I grew up in Metropolis. Fishing is my thing. Ky Lake was my home away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.