My mild Fiat crisis.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I'm really interested in the new Fiat 500 Abarth. Wife actually told me that I could have it, but I have to sell the Jeep (planned on selling it anyway),my 1976 Fiat 128, and my 1980 Fiat Spider.

I got the 128 on a whim about a year and a half ago. Haven't made any progress on it, but was excited to have a Fiat sedan that can hold the family.

I've had the Spider for about 5 years and have put a lot of work into the engine and some decent work into the interior and have been very slowly working on the body. i love this car, the styling is awesome and it's small, very much like riding a go cart. Nothing is more fun than cruising down a winding road on a crisp fall day with the top down and the heater on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is this thing worth it? Has anybody been in a situation like this before? I'm just having a hard time with the concept of losing the Spider.

Fix It Again Tony. :lol: Don't know about the car but we always said on the way home from the Fiat dealership you should pick up a case of good Chianti for your favorite FIAT mechanic.

BB - Sports car guy from the 1970's and 1980's

I screwed up a quote and deleted her post by accident so I will re-type Kathleen's response to my post.

"pfffft"

Pfffft to you. My 1981 Triumph TR-8 sits outside as I type.

Sorry bud, but that car is the personification of "ugly" to me...................augh!!

Now the girl...................and the situation...............that's another matter...........

-Soupy1957

I bet Iseedeadbtu guy is gonna love that vid....
Just sayin... :lol:

I had a new 128. Piece of crap.
I sat in a Fiat at a car show a couple of weeks ago.
It even has a crappy feel to it on the inside-the seat height handle felt like it was going to come off in my hand.
Very small in back.
Buy a MINI. I got 73k miles on mine and love it.

I've been struggling to "get" the Abarth for a year or so now. Saw one the other day too...its got to be one of the least attractive cars that its possible to make. I don't understand why people are salivating over it...its ugly, expensive and doesn't seem to have any real innovations or anythng...just a copycat of the Mini or Ford Ka.

I like the video though. :)

Pfffft to you. My 1981 Triumph TR-8 sits outside as I type.

My 64 Spitfire is in my driveway...alas it needs a full restoration, but its a runner so there's hope for the old girl.

I do admit it's an acquired taste. Should have said that there's a new car I want, but the old ones must go and left it at that.

mayhem said:
I've been struggling to "get" the Abarth for a year or so now. Saw one the other day too...its got to be one of the least attractive cars that its possible to make.
you didn't see an abarth the other day unless you were in Europe. They just officially unveiled it at the LA Auto show on Wednesday and it won't be sold at dealerships until probably March of 2012.

They may be copying the Mini or the Ka, but I see it more as a retro of the original Fiat 500 that predates the mini by a good two years.

Not very good for scrounging!

When I have my mid-life crisis I'll be learning more towards the Nissan Z or Subaru WRX . . . then again I've always been a Japanese sort of guy . . . of course if I had the money . . . the Nissan GT-R would be my ultimate mid-life crisis car.

Jake: Have a WRX. Just wrecked it so I may have a DEAL for you!

Jags: That's just plain funny.

BTW: my toddlers like to watch Top Gear with me. They did a review of a (500, I think) Abarth a few years ago and called it "Nutters, absolutely maniacal" and other words to that effect. I'll bet you can find their review on their web site.

The Italians get the emotions with a car like that. Love that commercial. They know a decision to buy a car like that isn't done via spreadsheet.

jonwright said:
Jake: Have a WRX. Just wrecked it so I may have a DEAL for you!

Jags: That's just plain funny.

BTW: my toddlers like to watch Top Gear with me. They did a review of a (500, I think) Abarth a few years ago and called it "Nutters, absolutely maniacal" and other words to that effect. I'll bet you can find their review on their web site.

Found it:

Videos > Jeremy and The Stig drive a Fiat 500 Abarth (series 12, episode 2)

http://bcove.me/wobm0jur

The Italians get the emotions with a car like that. Love that commercial. They know a decision to buy a car like that isn't done via spreadsheet.

mayhem said:
I've been struggling to "get" the Abarth for a year or so now. Saw one the other day too...its got to be one of the least attractive cars that its possible to make. I don't understand why people are salivating over it...its ugly, expensive and doesn't seem to have any real innovations or anythng...just a copycat of the Mini or Ford Ka.

As Jeremy put it in the review:

"160 HP in a car the size of a shoe...THAT'S FANTASTIC!"

You won't miss the 128 if you get a refrigerator box and put wheels on it.
(I had a 2 door) Loved the throttle lock "speed control".
Actually the refrigerator box will be roomier.

Every single person I've asked who had one overseas claimed cheap parts as the reason they liked it. Never any other reason.
( A new Fiat, not a " antique reliving a childhood fantasy aficionado" Fiat. )
A 124 I could justify keeping. :)

That Abarth looks to me like it would be a hell of a lot more fun to experience from the inside than it is from the outside. And, after all, when you buy a car, where do you figure you'll spend your time? Rick

Its like a friend of mine told me. There is nothing wrong with a big, ugly boat. You don't have to look at it.

Two thoughts about Fiat.
1. Why would they bother to try and sell cars in the US again? They have a worse reputation than Chrysler! (see #2)
2. That's how bad things were for Chrysler, they needed Fiat to save them!

GAMMA RAY said:
I bet Iseedeadbtu guy is gonna love that vid....
Just sayin... :lol:

This is golden !!!

I work P/T for Enterprise rent a car.....we had a few Fiat 500's in our stable.....it's not the Abrath, but you might want to rent one for the weekend before pullin' the trigger

That commercial rocks!! I think those Fiats are pretty cool looking myself.. I owned a MGB roadster with electric overdrive long ago and it was a blast to drive if I could keep it running lol.. Almost bought a TR-6 and regret that I didn't as I still love the looks of the TR-6.. I would think the Fiats are much more reliable now than they were back in the 70's.. They have been all around Europe for a century and are still popular.. Keep us posted..

Ray

You can roll down the street like J-Lo.

Don't be fooled with the rocks that she's got. She's still Jenny from the block.

raybonz said:
That commercial rocks!! I think those Fiats are pretty cool looking myself.. I owned a MGB roadster with electric overdrive long ago and it was a blast to drive if I could keep it running lol.. Almost bought a TR-6 and regret that I didn't as I still love the looks of the TR-6.. I would think the Fiats are much more reliable now than they were back in the 70's.. They have been all around Europe for a century and are still popular.. Keep us posted..

Ray
The only car I have regrets about not getting was this MGB-GT that was for sale locally a few years ago. I didn't have the cash at the time, and I found out real quick later on that $3k for a car in its condition is hard to come by. MGB-GT (BTW) was also designed by pininfarina, same company that designed my Spider.

I really do not want a Fiat as I am not a car guy.

That was hands down the very best commercial I have ever seen though. Downright inspirational.

Status
Not open for further replies.