My neighbor had a tree......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching this double trunk Black Locust in my neighbors backyard die for 4 years. The house was sold 2 months ago and the new owner and I were talking about different things when the conversation got around to his dead tree. Well he had it taken down Friday and I got almost the whole tree, I pulled my trailer into his driveway and the crew cut the trunks into 18" pieces and wheeled the whole tree onto my trailer. I only had to lift the logs that were already in his driveway before I got my trailer on site. I already have eight cords stacked in my back yard, so I took it to my daughters house to be processed. The stacks against the back fence are 34' long, 3 stacks deep. The side fence stack is 24' long. I believe I'm set for several years now.

No offense:

Nominated for the April 2015 "You Suck" Award.

I hope you win!

Again, no offense.

:)

Honey Locust is primo wood. Needs lots of time to dry though...3 years! Also it isn't real good at lighting up so put 'em on a good bed of hot coals. Dense as lead!

I've also read somewhere-not here-to leave the bark on because it is so much easier to let it fall off later.
If it's BL, you can cut it into rounds, then let it sit a few months before splitting. The bark will pop loose pretty easy then. Not too hard to split, as a rule.

If it's BL, you can cut it into rounds, then let it sit a few months before splitting. The bark will pop loose pretty easy then. Not too hard to split, as a rule.
I would never intentionally pull off the bark on BL. It lends a hand in keeping hot coals longer. It keeps it's shApe through almost the entire burn....

Black locust is almost orange when fresh cut. I've always enjoyed reading your posts, but you don't know what you're talking about.

So you told me I didn't know what I was talking about, and then had 10 people tell you the exact opposite - Why no response in 2 days? Or better yet, an apology.

I'm gonna have to check out burning the burning of the bark a little, thought it was bad to burn bark, but maybe some are OK?

Also--closer inspection reveals on at least one black locust--a TON of ivy--both English ivy & poison ivy, side by side--is it worth it to don a hazmat suit? Not kidding, that's basically what I have to do now when removing poison ivy.

I could have it downed & let it sit for a year & let the bark fall off...

I know never to burn poison ivy--does it's presence growing up the tree pose any issues? if it is into the bark & the bark later comes off-is the wood contaminated with urushiol? Anyone know? Should I just let a tree company hack it & take it?

I would spray the poison ivy with poison ivy spray liberally and several times till it's completely gone before handling the tree, douse that sucker, all over and then some.......I'm highly allergic to that ****......,.,

It is not BL due to the color of the wood, like other said suppose to more yellow and the bark very thick. I was lucky to hit 3 loads of BL, 2 of them are well season and one load is freshly cut. When I split they all yellow.

I would spray the poison ivy with poison ivy spray liberally and several times till it's completely gone before handling the tree, douse that sucker, all over and then some.......I'm highly allergic to that ****......,.,

My 1st thought is that I do NOT want to add chemicals that would be absorbed into the wood & them later burn it. Just doesn't seem wise to me.
Besides, killing poison ivy with chemicals does zero for removing the urushiol, which is the volatile oil-it takes several years for that to go away.

I have cut thick PI vines growing op a few trees with loppers before & let them die (cut it in spring, removed it in fall) & carefully removed the vines wearing heavy duty chemical gloves & put on 3 mil heavy duty contractor bags & into the trash. Not a fun task. I have to be covered head to toe.

There has got to be some type of solution.

When I was a kid, I played in poison ivy-never had to worry about it...Not the case now.

My 1st thought is that I do NOT want to add chemicals that would be absorbed into the wood & them later burn it. Just doesn't seem wise to me.
Besides, killing poison ivy with chemicals does zero for removing the urushiol, which is the volatile oil-it takes several years for that to go away.

I have cut thick PI vines growing op a few trees with loppers before & let them die (cut it in spring, removed it in fall) & carefully removed the vines wearing heavy duty chemical gloves & put on 3 mil heavy duty contractor bags & into the trash. Not a fun task. I have to be covered head to toe.

There has got to be some type of solution.

When I was a kid, I played in poison ivy-never had to worry about it...Not the case now.
Then maybe the solution will be........ Good Luck.....

Honey Locust

Reactions: kjahnz
Status
Not open for further replies.