My neighbors -photo of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly1414

Nov 20, 2007
Nevada County Foothills
My neighbors chimney bellows smoke all day and night when their home. They are gone this week so I took the opportunity to take a photo of his roof and chimney . The creosote just runs down his roof. Don't know what kind of stove or wood he burns but it just bellows smoke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 627
My neighbors chimney bellows smoke all day and night when their home. They are gone this week so I took the opportunity to take a photo of his roof and chimney . The creosote just runs down his roof. Don't know what kind of stove or wood he burns but it just bellows smoke.

May be time to have a conversation. You may be able to educate them, if not at least you tried.

I second that, I live in a subdivision with lots of other close houses and I have actually been wondering if any of my neighbors will come over and stay something about the smell thats out 24/7. I have been rehearsing in my head what to say to them if they do. I think most rational people will be willing to have a civil conversation about it.

Ugh. The next door neighbors where I was renting last year were great people. The guy was a retired fireman and helped me out with a lot of things while I lived there.

The bad thing was, he burned unseasoned oak all winter. He knew it was bad and cleaned his chimney every three weeks (!). The smoke was god-awful. He knew he should get a couple years ahead on wood, but every October I'd see him and his sons cutting up some green oak for use that winter.

If that chimney ever catches fire they can kiss that house goodbye.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
I call that farmer flashing. A term totally unfair to farmers but the old farm houses in my neck of the woods have more of that flashing on them than farmers in them.
That trap cap sure isn't helping anything.

Wow. Is that pine needle debris on top of the creosote stains on the shingles? Is the debris stuck on?

Wow. Is that pine needle debris on top of the creosote stains on the shingles? Is the debris stuck on?
Yeah, that is gonna make for some GREAT KINDLING.:eek:

Do they have a stove or just a fireplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.