My Neighbors Say They Are Ready to Have an Intervention

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
As i have mentioned here before, I am set for 2010/11 but still trying to finish up 2009/10. I was just about done when bounty struck. First, I found a large Red Oak on Craigslist, then a neighbor down the street took out a huge elm and today got part of a maple and pine on Freecycle. Now, not only did I finish up wood for this winter but have a good start on 2011/12. Now, if it would just split and stack itself.

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

When it rains it pours. I have a third of next years wood done, maybe more...and a pile about as large as yours and then some. Take it when you can get it I say!!! I bet you can get that all split in a day and stacked in another day. If you can get someone to help stack it goes wayyyyyy faster!!!

You're welcome to stop by and help any time. I'll go pick up some New Glarus and Lake Louie!

I think you are going to see a lot more people getting stoves so the competition for free wood is going to increase so I'm getting what I can now. Of course, where I'm going to put it is now the question. <G>

Now had you said lienies (amber, honey, or red) I would have thought about it! I had my fill with spotted cow. I think with Nat gas prices down no one will think about the cost until it jumps again. We are just seeing the residual idiots thinking the pine tree in the front yard will put their kids thru college :lol: Although with the price of steek down who knows. Been a tough one with no home building going on so no lots being cut as well. Good news is my brother in law sold his farm... I lost one sourse of wood, neighbor just bought 2 acres of it from the builder and he asked if I wanted to clean the lot up, and get all the stuff thats burnable out. Yep, life is good!

Heck, I'd be happy to buy you Leinie's. I was just trying to sweeten the pot with the good stuff. I'm just sitting here enjoying an NG Crack'd Wheat after unloading the truck.

Wendell, is that a cushion I see behind the splitter? Do you actually sit down while splitting?

Backwoods Savage said:
Wendell, is that a cushion I see behind the splitter? Do you actually sit down while splitting?

I don't know about Wendell but I sure do. I use one of the rounds for my seat and I know the job is done when I split the seat.

Nice hauls ya got there Wendell. I am jealous.

burntime said:
I think with Nat gas prices down no one will think about the cost until it jumps again.
Ja, the wife says we won't be burning as much this coming Winter, letting the gas furnace kick in more.

As for the neighbors and intervention, I can't help but think about that other village ordinance litter thread. If the neighbors are dropping hints, it might be time to tidy up before it escalated and you get served.

I have my wood processing area out front by the road where there's lots of sun and wind. My house is hidden further back behind and amongst trees. We have a neighbor with garbage strewn all over her yard and the wife lodged a formal complaint with the municipality. I was asking her how that went and the subject turned to my messy woodpile out front. I was served (by the wife) a clean-up order.

Backwoods Savage said:

Of course I do Dennis, because when I grow up, I want to be just like you! :) 7 years ahead and handsome as the devil. ;-)

Wendell, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Your generosity is exceeded only by your very good looks!

You got me. I too sit all the time when I am splitting. Saves the bender for sure.

LLigetfa said:
As for the neighbors and intervention, I can't help but think about that other village ordinance litter thread. If the neighbors are dropping hints, it might be time to tidy up before it escalated and you get served.

I have my wood processing area out front by the road where there's lots of sun and wind. My house is hidden further back behind and amongst trees. We have a neighbor with garbage strewn all over her yard and the wife lodged a formal complaint with the municipality. I was asking her how that went and the subject turned to my messy woodpile out front. I was served (by the wife) a clean-up order.

I am working on it as fast as I can but I think their comments are more because they have a wood stove too and wish they had more wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wendell, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Your generosity is exceeded only by your very good looks!

You got me. I too sit all the time when I am splitting. Saves the bender for sure.

In fact, that is a new cushion I just got at the thrift store. I laughed when I saw your picture in that other thread at how similar our setup is other than the color of our splitters and our ear muffs (mine are yellow). Oh, and my milk crate is more brown. :cheese:

Maybe I should change. I also have some brown ones, and some wire ones (I used to work at a dairy). That is funny though.

My family has been in the grocery business for over 140 years and as I recall, that is one of the milk crates I pilfered when I went off to college 30 years ago.

You can NEVER have too much! I'm in the same position as Wendell; when it rains it pours. Got 5 truck loads during the past weekend and the wife offically "closed down" the backyard to all wood traffic! :mad: All that did was make me go out and find other locations to store it away! A good neighbor down the street is holding onto 3 truck loads (splitting it with him of course) and another 3 trucks at my dads place. Heck, I have already made a deal to trade a load of wood for nice mulch to do my yard! What a commodity! I too have been following the other thread on the village ordinance...ridiculous! Wood is classified as a fuel by the federal government; it can not be litter! But just as with everything else, you should always make every attempt to keep things tidy. Unless I'm going to split it right then and there, I stack the rounds or make it look as orderly as possible. Neighbors have been very nice about things thus far.

Wendell...I use to do all my wood work way in the back yard. After a strong deep winter, I turned the wood shop to the front yard(much easier access). Its not quite as congested as yours....so I think anyway.

I think my wife feels that way some days! I have about 7 cords stacked, about 2-3 cords in a heap-hausen that needs to be stacked and only a face cord or so to split. After I get done splitting I hope to be done for a while. ;-)

Perfect example of my wood disorder: One of the guys I went to school with many moons ago mom lives on a road I travel frequently and she has a dozen + ash tree's that are dead in her back yard. It's taking everything in my power to not call him and ask if she wants me to knock them down for her. They're all away from the house and look like pretty easy pickings. I have a feeling my wife might put a hurting on me if I make the call. :) I have most of my wood stacked near my drive/house since it's where I unload but figure if I start taking it to the back of my property my wife will have less of an issue with it. That creates more work for me though since I can't drive to the back, I'd be hauling it with my garden tractor and a cart.<sigh>

I used to do it in the back yard but got tired of hauling 100+ lb rounds down the hill. This is the worst it has ever been and it's not as bad as it looks (I think :cheese: ). Got a path cleared tonight and now just moving the splitter from pile to pile.

rdust said:
...about 2-3 cords in a heap-hausen...
You should try one of my uber-heap-hausens. I built a rectangle of stacked splits and then heap the centre up. Not as much of an eyesore and easy to mow around.

100_0350.jpg

LLigetfa said:
You should try one of my uber-heap-hausens. I built a rectangle of stacked splits and then heap the centre up. Not as much of an eyesore and easy to mow around.

100_0350.jpg

That looks nice! I'm still young in my wood stacking skills, I hope my stacks get to the level shown by the "pro's" someday. :)

That is a super cool heap-hausen. Especially the attention to detail on the perimeter. Good job.

You can tell a lot about a man by his woodpile.

Status
Not open for further replies.