My nephew on my Woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisele

Mar 21, 2009
South Jersey
My nephew on me and my fathers wood pile. Pile is all scrounge wood consisting of redoak, whiteoak, cherry, blacklocust, sweetgum, holly, sasafrass and a few other hardwood trees. My father and I did it over the fall and winter and it will be responsible for heating three house holds.

Attachments

• jacob on woodpile.jpg
    jacob on woodpile.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 711
Good job! Nice wood pile. Are you going to stack it? If so, if I were you I'd do some sorting by making one pile red oak only because that takes so long to season (2 years best). The sort out the other woods too so next winter you can burn what the weather requires. For example, you will want to burn the sassafras during the early part of the heating season whereas the harder woods in the cold part.

Great pile of wood. How did you split that ? especially the sweetgum. I had some of that for the first time this week and it does not split it shreds.

Nice pile of wood. I tried what it said to "Click thumbnail to see full-size image" but it's as big as it's going to get. :(

I live on the southern coast of N.j. between the delaware bay and the atlantic ocean. The winters here are mild compared to vermont and upstate N.Y. and such other places but they are cold enough. So we have only enough time to do wood between november and april depending on the tempature because when it warms up here like it is starting to now the deer ticks and chiggers are like an epidemic. So thats why it is in one big pile and I have already started stacking out what I will need for my 2 year usage since I took the photo. Yes I do keep stuff like sassafras and cedar seperate for mild tempatures. I split all of this with my grandfathers Ram log splitter that he purchased in Vermont twenty some years ago. Yes the sweet gum is particulary tough to split but when you scrounge you have to take what you get. When you get to actually burn the sweet gum it is well worth the fight you have with it but some times I feel bad for the log splitter. I am new to this page so I am still trying to figure out the picture thing and will update my proges. But there is a lot of time and labor in that pile and dont let me fool you I couldnt have gotten it all with out my fathers help. So that was a two man job And I even had my nephew in the picture and my brother helping at times.

Here is a update of the work that my father and I have accomlished on our pile we delivered four cords to our relative today. so wanted to share the pictures before it starts to dwindle down. I will put a bunch of different angles here.

Attachments

• pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 512
Definately a nice pile of wood! It's nice to see more folks that help heat multiple households. For yrs i've helped my dad split and stack wood for our house growing up and now that im burning it's twice the wood and twice the work. And my sister and soon to be brother in law will be burning next winter so we've got some work cut out for us.

Where ya at in SJ??

Did you deliver all that wood with that little single axle trailer?

Thank you smokinpiney. Yes definately lots of work trying to get it done before the bug season here in So. Jersey you must know how it is. But well worth it to my family and I enjoy doing it. I reside in Goshen and scrounged all of this wood with my fathers help in cape may county.

Yes we delivered four cords today with it and that little trailer you see there holds a cord. Hey lligetfa what did you expect to see a dump truck or big rig in the pic? I am not no commercial boy all that would was brought in with pick up trucks and occasionally a trailer if we need it. What are you guys afraid to do more than one trip up there in Ontario.

Looks like an awfully small trailer to be loading it with 4000+lbs!

gzecc said:
Looks like an awfully small trailer to be loading it with 4000+lbs!

My single axle trailer has a 5K axle with electric brakes and I routinely put 1.3 cord in it. The weak point when I bought it was the tires. I found this out the hard way with a full load of wood and replaced them with LR E trailer radials. No problems in the 4 years since.

Eisele said:
What are you guys afraid to do more than one trip up there in Ontario.
Hey, if you can get 'r done in one trip why mess around with a little trailer?

100_0297.jpg

LLigetfa said:
Eisele said:

100_0297.jpg

Sometimes less is more...

Attachments

• SmallTrailer.jpg
    SmallTrailer.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 319
how big is your trailer???
hey LLigefta that really is a nice pic of that truck.... brings peace to us small guys!!!!
i wish i had a big yard... just found a guy 100 csd green white oak, red oak, maple and ash...... if only my neighbors could understand

LLigetfa said:
Eisele said:

100_0297.jpg

Hey LLigetfa pulling out all the photos of your big equipment makes you feel manly doesnt it. Point is its done. I got 'r done with out all that big stuff you claim to have there. Whats wrong with my small trailer you got something else small that bothers you? Guess us Jersey boys just arent to bright and enjoy doing things the hard way.

Eisele said:
LLigetfa said:
Eisele said:
Hey LLigetfa pulling out all the photos of your big equipment makes you feel manly doesnt it. Point is its done. I got 'r done with out all that big stuff you claim to have there. Whats wrong with my small trailer you got something else small that bothers you? Guess us Jersey boys just arent to bright and enjoy doing things the hard way.
No teenie weenie problem here. Around here we go BIG or go home. That wood traveled a long distance. Too far to do it in 12 white knuckle trips. But hey, whatever works for you is fine by me. There's no need to get your knickers in a twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.