My new Big E may have a problem, please advise...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
Got my new Big E today.

Besides a ripped box and big scrape on the bottom edge of the left side, it looks OK.

But I did notice in the firebox, where the grate sits in that metal box which has the two pipes coming out of it, once I fit and slide the box into those two pipes, it's not perfectly square.

It's slanted to the right a bit.

Anything wrong with this? The grate where the pellets fall into and box that the grate sits in not being perfectly level once I slide it onto the pipes?

Thanks for any info.

FG.

On the left you have the combustion blower "pipe" and on the right you have the ignitor. When the fire box slides in it should be ok.

Take a peek at my visual aids. This is not a BIG E but will show what I mean. Please note I was not in the AV Club.

Eric

Attachments

• P1040278.JPG
    P1040278.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 331
  • P1040279.JPG
    P1040279.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 306
flamegrabber said:
Got my new Big E today.

Besides a ripped box and big scrape on the bottom edge of the left side, it looks OK.

But I did notice in the firebox, where the grate sits in that metal box which has the two pipes coming out of it, once I fit and slide the box into those two pipes, it's not perfectly square.

Anything wrong with this? The grate where the pellets fall into and box that the grate sits in not being perfectly level once I slide it onto the pipes?

Thanks for any info.

FG.

I hope you made the delivery company make a note in their paperwork that there was damage to your shipping box and to the stove.

If you didn't make a point to show them this, and you find out that the stove IS damaged to a point that it won't run properly, the shipping company will say they had nothing to do with it, and you'll be at the mercy of the manufacturer as to whether they will replace the stove.

Oh yes I made FedEx jot down the fact that the box was ripped and the scrape on the side.

I didn't have them note the burn pot wasn't totally square though. It didn't appear at all that the scrape on the lower side could in any way cause the burn pot slant.

It's not a big slant, just that the grate isn't totally square with the pellet drop hole/slot.

It does fit over the two pipes which tells me it's OK.

Thanks,

FG.

macman said:
flamegrabber said:
Got my new Big E today.

Thanks for any info.

FG.

I hope you made the delivery company make a note in their paperwork that there was damage to your shipping box and to the stove.

If you didn't make a point to show them this, and you find out that the stove IS damaged to a point that it won't run properly, the shipping company will say they had nothing to do with it, and you'll be at the mercy of the manufacturer as to whether they will replace the stove.

Thanks for the picts!

The picts seem to look similar in that the stainless cup/grate where the pellets drop in to isn't totally aquare with the pellet drop slot/hole.

The burn pot seems to be slightly slanted to the right like mine looks. Look closely at them and tell me if you agree.

Like mine but maybe these picts are to a lesser degree.

I would think it's OK since the box still fits over those two pipes with no problems which tells me there's probably nothing bent.

How does the stove ignite the pellets? With super heated hot air or with some kind of super hot metal rod?

Thanks alot,

FG.

kinsman stoves said:
On the left you have the combustion blower "pipe" and on the right you have the ignitor. When the fire box slides in it should be ok.

Take a peek at my visual aids. This is not a BIG E but will show what I mean. Please note I was not in the AV Club.

Eric

I do not think you will have a problem with your burn pot.

Have you spoke to your dealer? 99.9% chance you will not get anything from FedEx since you took delivery. If you refused it you would have a case but not now.

Thanks
Eric

since both of those holes are round it might tilt a little to the left or to the right, this isnt going to be a huge issue, your stove will run fine. there is a little screw on the bottom of the burnpot itself that you can screw in and out to adjust it, that might help but the tilting is nothing to worry about.

Thanks alot for your input Jake.

FG.

jacobaimhoff said:
since both of those holes are round it might tilt a little to the left or to the right, this isnt going to be a huge issue, your stove will run fine. there is a little screw on the bottom of the burnpot itself that you can screw in and out to adjust it, that might help but the tilting is nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.