My New Cleaning Tool....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
A HAMMER!!!!

No, I'm not nuts... ok maybe a little. Some of you know I'm a big advocate of cleaning your stove with a leafblower (the suction side hooked to your vent). Well I've been doing a little experiment the last few weeks.

I haven't done ANY maintenance to my St. Croix Pepin stove for almost four weeks.... I haven't even opened the door. I DID clean the ashpan once but that's it... nothing more.

I cleaned my stove using my leafblower before Thanksgiving and really didn't touch it since. It was pretty spotless at that point.

The object of this deal was to see how long I could go without any noticeable decrease in heat output. Well the last week or so I did notice that my heat output was starting to drop... not by a whole lot but it certainly was not operating as efficiently as it had before.

The St. Croix's have a Versa-Grate that rocks side to side and moves back and forth and keeps the firepot pretty clean. The Uncle Jed's pellets I use are a softwood pine and burn pretty clean, too... and that helps. No clinkers to worry about.

My intention was to throughly clean my stove as most owners would do THEN use my leafblower with the vacuum bag attached to catch all the ash that comes out of the stove from the two-sided wall behind the combustion chamber ( and other nooks and crannies). Well I got a little tired tonite and figured I'd just clean my stove and use the leafblower tomorrow.

Then the light bulb went off (it's about time!)... how about using a coathanger or other probe to TRY to get as much ash out from behing the back wall WITHOUT using my leafblower. The ash would settle out in the ash pan and I could easily see how much actually came out.

So, after about 15 minutes of fiddling around with a coat hanger and a piece of ROMEX wire I got about 1/4 cup of ash out of the stove. I knew there was more hiding behind that back wall. Then I spotted a hammer...why not!

A did about two minutes worth of tapping on the back wall... not banging trying to break things.... just tapping on the steel wall.

I was amazed... I got more than three cups of ash out of the stove. Remember, I had just vacuumed my stove and got all of the visible ash out of it. THREE CUPS... that's three cups that many owners didn't even know could hide there.

Try this next time you're DONE cleaning your stove. Pretty amazing...

Very good. That is thinking.

You, my Friend get an A+ and the key to the Golden Pooper for 6 days. Enjoy

Eric

In my best Tupelo, MS accent... "Thank You...Thank You Very Much"....

You would think the manufacture would have designed the stove to be easier to clean, it is not an oil furnace.

LMFAO. Hmmmm, no chance you read my post (#2) in
this thread I posted just yesterday aye? Huge co-ink-i-dink ain't it?

Fess up now krooser and I'll forgive ya for tryin to patent my idea.
laugh2.gif

slls said:
You would think the manufacture would have designed the stove to be easier to clean, it is not an oil furnace.

A couple months ago I had thought pellet stoves to be rather crude and sorely needed some improvements but after using one for a while and learning it`s nuances I`ve come to appreciate the technology involved. I`m not particularly pleased with pellets at $300+ per ton but that`s another story.
When I look at such a small flame in the burn pot and the amount of heat it gives off with such little residue and lack of creosote it`s hard to imagine just how much more efficient if any they could make these little machines.
Yes , it involves some electronics and motors but the end result is amazing.
Just as oil burner systems have barely seen but small incremental improvements since the 40`s it seems pellet stoves are also near their peak designs.
But cleaning some of these stoves can most probably be improved but it would come at a significant cost.

zeta said:
LMFAO. Hmmmm, no chance you read my post (#2) in
this thread I posted just yesterday aye? Huge co-ink-i-dink ain't it?

Fess up now krooser and I'll forgive ya for tryin to patent my idea.
laugh2.gif

I missed that... although I did read the original post.

Sorry if I stole your idea...I originally was going to rent a jackhammer but it was too expensive...

krooser said:
I missed that...

LOL. Yeah sure ya did. ;-) No worries. Anyway as I have been saying for months,
my methods work as well as the leaf blower as you have now discovered.
laugh2.gif

zeta said:
krooser said:
I missed that...

LOL. Yeah sure ya did. ;-) No worries. Anyway as I have been saying for months,
my methods work as well as the leaf blower as you have now discovered.
laugh2.gif

I'm not sure it works as well as the leafblower but it certainly does pretty well... and it's pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.