My new firewood source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mutti_wilson

Dec 11, 2018
La Center, WA
I've got a friend who works as a sawyer at a company who cuts decorative timbers and their waste piles up faster than they can get rid of it so I've started hauling the sizeable waste to my place for fire wood. It's all Douglas Fir and the cost of free.99 is just fine with me. Other than the large cutoffs in my bed the rest is 15-20ft length so there is a lot of wood to be had. Nothing has the aroma like fresh cut fir. I built a mantle for my wood stove area from one of the chunks as well.

IMG_20181121_141519 (Medium).jpg IMG_20181121_141557 (Medium).jpg IMG_20181121_162541 (Medium).jpg IMG_20181208_114308 (Medium).jpg IMG_20181208_184042 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty sweet deal. I'm jealous.

Reactions: Todd67 and coutufr
All the small stuff and sawdust they burn on a slash pile.
That part is too bad. That could be a source of building heat, power and produce something like biochar for local gardeners and farmers. In the least it could be chipped and made into wood chips for mulch and compost.

So let me ask the question, how are you stacking the more dimensional stuff? leave in lengths for a year cribbed stacked then cut up? or cut up, stacked in cribs (cris crossed) ?

Reactions: Todd67
That part is too bad. That could be a source of building heat, power and produce something like biochar for local gardeners and farmers. In the least it could be chipped and made into wood chips for mulch and compost.

The owner has tried multiple things to deal with the waste but it ends up in a situation where current employees can't keep up with their own jobs and do the extra tasks as well. He'd need to hire help and then it doesn't pay.

So let me ask the question, how are you stacking the more dimensional stuff? leave in lengths for a year cribbed stacked then cut up? or cut up, stacked in cribs (cris crossed) ?

It's on some PT beams so nothing is sitting on the ground. It's all loosely dumped on the piles so there is decent air movement. I have a plan to move the storage area to another spot on my property where I'll have more flexibility on stacking and much more room but I need to get my dozer and excavator up to my place to level the area out and move a large pile of boulders that I've been keeping for some other unknown project. It'll be roughly 100'x30' and out of site from the house. I like to keep the "junk" out of view if possible.

I'm surprised some of that is scrap.

I am too, but keep in mind they are not a sawmill. They mill large timbers for decorative/structural purposes and nothing is small. The stuff you see in my bed is typical sized.

Nice score. There was a craigslist ad a couple weeks ago in my area. A guy had a dumpster full of 4x4 oak cut offs in varying lengths, I contacted him the day he put the ad up and it was gone. Lucky you have a contact.

That's a great source of firewood there!

May have to dust off my passport and buy a bigger truck...;lol