My new first stove - Drolet Austral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fi-Q

Feeling the Heat
Mar 5, 2009
Bonaventure, Quebec
I finnaly fired up my new stove 12 days ago....

I'm got the shell my house build in Eastern Quebec. I will finished it my self... but it's gonna be a long on going project as I'm not home to often, working on the road. I got home on nov 24th. Took 3 days to try to get the house ''Liveable'' because I knew I was hitting the road on the 28
th. But the wife wanted to stay home for a little while to spent some time with the familly. So the first thing I did was to install my basement wood stove. In fact we're living in the basement for now. I still have to poor a concrete slab on the main & 2nd floor with hydronic radiant tubing.....

Oh, the familly is usually traveling with me. So I'm not leaving my wife & kids behind in a almost finished basement for 10 years.......

For the 3 days that i was home. I really like this Drolet Austral. Of course it's not as pretty as a cherry red cast iron pacific energy... but this stove only cost me 925 $CAN on sale.

The wife is keeping it burning since I'm gone. She seems to like it a lot. And looks like the window is always clean. Eventually, I hope to trade this for a inside gassifier wood boiler... but that's an other story. I will have to finished the house first........ I thing at the time.... this is my retirement project and I'm only 28.....

Anyway, I wanted to share that we'Re happy with that Drolet stove for now & the stove pictures with you guys....

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,192
  • IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,056
These must be Canadian stoves eh?I have the Austral too.Great woking stove.I burn mine 24/7 through the winter.It's my main source of heat.Good luck with the house and enjoy the addiction that wood burning. :)

Yep, Drolet is a Quebec base company, but they are selling through Canada & USA. I'm glad to hear you'Re happy with the Drolet. I had hard time to find any reviews on it beforeI bought it

Was inbetween Drolet's insert and the vogelzang on the northern tool website. I have heard nothing but good with the Drolets EXCEPT one complaint, that the fans take too long to kick in. Not that you would have that problem with yours. Anyway, suppose to be a good brand. Was the smoke coming out the chimney from start up?

Yes, the picture with the smoke was taken righjt after start up....

Another forum member here that loves their Drolet. I just got mine in Oct when the local store had it on sale-Escape 1800. Love its heavy steel and the secondary burn is crazy hot. Its like a horizontal whirlwind of blue/orange flame rolling down across the door and back over the wood. Much different from the few videos others have done of non cat type stoves that I've watched. Its been heating our home 24/7 since the day it got connected.

Good luck on your home project, at least you've got the stove part finished! :coolgrin:

Seems everyone is quite happy with their Drolet's.Mine came with the electric blower already on the back of the stove so I guess I lucked out there.The only complaint I have (it's actually a good thing though) is how freaking heavy they are.Me and dad had to carry mine down the basement stairs. :eek:hh:

Mine came with a blower too..... It'S true that they look heavy..... But for mine (I wasn't there). But our home town hardware store have a 10$ delivery. So they send 3 guys to deliver the stove right trough is final spot in the basement. 10$, well worth it !!

Fi-Q said:
Mine came with a blower too..... It'S true that they look heavy..... But for mine (I wasn't there). But our home town hardware store have a 10$ delivery. So they send 3 guys to deliver the stove right trough is final spot in the basement. 10$, well worth it !!
WELL worth $10.Unfortunetly I didn't have that luxury. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.