My new Hampton GC60 installed and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEvansCT

Oct 21, 2014
Northeast CT
Got our first pellet stove installed yesterday and all went well. We went with the Hampton GC60 - wife just fell in love with it.Install went just fine as did the start up Had it running since 2pm yesterday and it was nice waking up to a warm house with no furnace running. I kept everything set as delivered and ran a burn in at level 4, but ran it overnight on 2. Did soem research into what the combustion trim and feed do on here and thank goodness someone knew enough to explain it because the manuals outright suck.

I have a 2200sf two level home with a open floor plan on the first floor and 4 bedrooms up stairs. The stove is positioned on the east side of the house in the corner of the living room and it is open to the dining room, kitchen and one small door to the family room (coldest room in the house - not anymore). The stairs to the second floor are across the dinning room - which is next to the living room. We could feel the hear up stairs, but I think I will need to work on pushing some of that warm air around. I do have forced air so I'm not sure what I can do with the fans there or some other game plan yet.

Started buying a couple bags of each brand of pellets from anyone selling them close by and I have. Not sure what I am really looking for other then it giving off good heat, ash and dirtyness, any build up as well I guess. Waiting on some of the pellet stores to get shipments and hoping for a chance at some higher end pellets for the real cold. CTpellet isn't taking new customers, BTpellet is out of a lot as well.

Fireside (only one bag at the store and damaged) - ran them to start. Bag had lots of fines and smaller pieces but figured it had been handled rough anyway. Burned well and seemed clean. Quick look into the ash pan seemed promising, a few pellets got away from the burnpot.

Heatr's (Home Depot - $259 ton) - Starting on them today.

North American Pellets (Tractor Supply - hardwood/softwood blend - $269 ton)
Tractor Supply Brand (hardwood, barcoode lookup suggests lignetics - $269 ton)
Green Supreme (my local hardware store has them - $259 ton - but said price was going up this weekend)

Any comments on the brands above, please feel free to share.

A few pics from the install.

Stove3.JPG

stove4.JPG

Very nice stove...eligant design.

FYI surge protector police will be banging down your door shortly.

It's a beauty, good luck with it !!

The only thing I will say about pellets is keep trying them. Try to land some with more than 7800-8000 btu ratings on them. Try to get at least into the mid range around 8500 or 8600 as part of your test. Only you can really determine what you like in a pellet burned in your stove. But people here do seem to be liking those Heater's this year. Green Supreme is a known low ender but if they burn good in your stove then everyone elses opinion is out the window !!.

It looks nice. I am not sure if this would work for you, but my forced air furnace t-stat. has a setting that will turn on the blower motor only every 15min. once a hour.

Reactions: JimEvansCT
Nice looking pellet eater! As Polar Bear stated, (cough, cough) get that stove plugged into a surge protector. Protect your investment. How many BTU's is it rated?

Great looking stove!

She's a pretty stove ... My job seems to be reminders of smoke detectors, CO monitors and fire extinguisher in the same room but not too near the stove. This is what happens when you live with a career firefighter and raise another;lol

Surge protector going on this weekend, I promise!! For some reason 55,000BTU is sticking in my brain.

Already have CO and smoke detectors in The dining room ( 5 feet outside room with some) but will add one to danger room. For extinguisher just around the corner in the kitchen.

Thanks for the reminders though.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.