My new Harman P68 glass has residue that won't come off - glass was replaced this week and is formin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't see how this happening. I know you are saying it is not a cleaning issue, but just how does the glass get to the point you are saying? These are high temp glass panels, and I can see if you had some fault with one, but two? This is some strange situation you have on your hands. I have let my glass get super dirty and nasty with all kinds of deposits on it and have never had a problem with cleaning it. I have the P68 as well, and once I shutdown for cleaning, all I use is some Windex and it comes out clean as new. Yours sounds as if it is actually melting or something, which is hard to believe, just some crazy goings on inside your stove. There has to be some adhesives of some sort getting on the glass, or some real funky pellets burning in your burnpot. Looking forward to hear what the outcome and cause is on this. Here is a picture attached of how nasty my glass is right now, the picture doesn't look no where near as bad as it really is. It will clean right up with Windex. Good luck with yours, keep us posted.

Attachments

• DSC05233.JPG
    DSC05233.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 730
Dianac said:
Thanks for your post but it has nothing to do with the products purchased. You see, the glass was replaced this week, and the window got burnt within a couple of days with no cleaning products used. With the help of all you posters, I'm hearing it could be the door, flame guide and I really appreciate all the answers I'm getting.
Again, not a "cleaning" problem but a stove problem.

Along with "bungalobob" and others, I am real interested to hear what turns out to be the cause of your problem. Please do update us when you find out the cause.

Good morning,
I will let you all know after I hear from the dealer what the cause is. We cleaned the stove really well again last night, the flame is still hitting the glass. I have no idea if the stove dealer cleaned the stove prior to delivery, but my guess is no as I got the stove in the hype last summer and they wouldn't have had time to clean the window.
Dianac

good morning..or I should say good nite..goin to bed soon...hope you get this issue fixed because it really is a good stove..tell'em you just want a new door..lol..that'll fix it...:)

Dianac said:
Good morning,
the flame is still hitting the glass.

So you're saying the flames are actually hitting the glass directly? Is this happening intermittently, or consistently? Looking at the last picture in post #7, the flames do not appear to be hitting the glass. If the flames are hitting the glass, something is not right. Since you said this has been an issue since day one, the burn pot could have been built incorrectly causing the flames to be shot out at an abnormal direction, but this seems pretty unlikely and you would mostly likely see such a gross defect. My best guess (assuming the flames are actually hitting the glass) is that the combustion blower is blowing too much air through the burn pot which is forcing the flames to blow out onto the glass. If this is the case, you should see signs of a lean condition, such as heavy white buildup on the glass. If so, this can be adjusted on the board, but it's something you would want the dealer or the factory to handle. If they do decide to tinker with this, have them mark the position of the pot before they make any adjustments so it can be brought back to the baseline if need be.

Will cut and paste the post and email it to my dealer. Sounds like this is a possibility.
Thanks! Will let you all know the outcome.

Looking at the pictures of the burn pot, there appears to be a ton of buildup there and we can't see any of the air holes. Are these burn pots and flame guides model specific? The factory could have easily grabed the wrong parts when assembling.

Dianac said:
Will cut and paste the post and email it to my dealer. Sounds like this is a possibility.
Thanks! Will let you all know the outcome.

The crappiest part about this is, your dealer should know how to properly
adjust/set up that stove without having to have them read stuff from a
public internet forum. I wish you much luck dealing with them.

Dianac said:
My husband and I purchased a brand new Harman P68 in June, started it up in October. Upon the first cleaning, I noticed that the glass started to form a thick residue on the top of the glass. I used the glass cleaner purchased from the dealer. Of course, when I called the dealer I was told I wasn't cleaning it correctly and made to feel stupid. After insisting there was a defect in the glass or the stove, the dealer came out. He said he never saw anything like it and he contacted Harman, and the glass was repaced this week. This morning, we cleaned the stove and I cleaned the glass. Once again, there's a thick residue on the glass that won't come off. The best way to describe it is picture a sticker on an item and when you remove it, there's that thick residue. However, nothing will take it off. It can't be rubbed off with my finger either, nor scraped off. It's stuck on the glass.
We are now contributing this to some type of defect in the stove; whether it be the installation or who knows what. I've called the dealer this am and emailed him.
Does anyone know what this could be?
It has been an ongoing issue since we purchased the stove.
Thanks for all your help, knowlege, and time.
Dianac

you are getting direct flame impingement on the glass, the residue is literally cooked onto the glass. i do not know the harman design well enough to give you a direct reason for why the flame is impinging this way , but its nearly impossible to get the stuff off , trust me ive tried to with glass samples which ive handled from our stoves. to correct the issue you will need to figure out why the flame is getting up against the glass the way it is and change whatever it is thats causing it a well drafted properly operating pellet stove should not impinge like this. im thinking an air issue of some sort, or a blocked or restricted airwash setup. wish i could help you more, but thats what the cause is.

Everyone has been so helpful and I really thank you all. The dealer in Hooksett, NH is a new Harman dealer. He was sweet as pie when we bought the stove, and when we asked him what we had to do to maintain it, he said "nothing", but empty the ash pan. Hence, we were sold! We have been slowly learning that is not true. I put a complaint in with Harman and the dealer was screaming at me on the phone today. Would any of your yell at your customers? He refuses to come out and address the situation, so this week I'll faxing a letter to Harman with a lot of the recommendations that you all are addressing. The dealer told me to stay off the forums and that nobody knows what they're talking about. I would not recommend this dealer to anyone.
Please keep any recommendations on this burnt glass issue coming as I'll put them in my letter to Harman this week.
Thanks all!

I'm sure Mike is spot on. The flame should not be hitting the glass, it doesn't even come close to hitting the glass on my stove.

Sounds like anyone in NH & MA needs to stay far, far away from the new Harman dealer in Hooksett, NH.

To bring everyone up to speed....I just spoke with Charlie, the marketing rep with Harman who asked me for the reference #. He said he'll get onto this. I explained the situation, how the dealer from Hooksett, NH came out to inspect "the glass", didn't look at the stove, yet said he'd never seen anything like this and replaced the glass a few weeks later, but again, no inspection of the stove. There is no excuse for screaming at a customer no matter if they spent $1 or $4k.
Will keep you all informed as to the outcome of the impingement of residue on the glass.
If anyone lives near Derry, NH who has a P68 and is willing to stop by and share their knowledge, it would be much appreciated. You can send me a PM.
Thanks and enjoy your day!
D

Agreed, Diana, screaming at a customer is inexcuseable. Actually, now that I thing about it, screaming on either side, customer, or vendor is inexcuseable. I dont know of anyone who responds well to that. Sounds like youve dotted your I's and crossed your T's on this one! Good luck!

I have the same thing on my stoves glass (kozi). It does not come off. It looks like burned glass. I have a very small glass and the white burned spot takes up most of it.

can you post a pic of the glass

Hello everyone....tonight my stove is whistling and it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust when the pellets are dropping down. The whistling is very audible.
Seems like there's a major issue and correlation to the residue that's on the window. Also, when the dealer replaced the glass last week, he stripped the thread on the screw and didn't say he'd replace it. Won't it cake on and be difficult to take off at some point? We faxed a letter to the dealer tonight stating all of this, and are now dealing with an area rep. We are asking for a new dealer, someone who will take care of the issues. The dealer in Hooksett, NH said "your stove is perfectly fine from looking at the pictures". I hope my stove doesn't quite on us tonight as the propane will have to be used to heat the house.
Thank you to everyone who is sending me messages and telling me what could be wrong. Now with the whistling coming out of the exhaust, what do you think this could be?
Thanks to everyone taking the time to post and speak with me on the phone,
Diana

As I stated in your other thread, it's not related. Add a little powered graphite to the pellets in the bottom of your hopper and mix them up. Once they go through the auger the noise will be gone. The nose is usually from a carbon buildup within the auger and auger tube.

My opinion is that this stove is way over fired for some reason. If you look at the metal around the opening where the door shuts, that's all cooked too. I have the p61 and no mark like that at all. If any grey/white would be present from burning, it would be in the top right and left corners of the glass and not in the middle. Again based on my p61, essentially the little brother of this stove. Im not a betting man, but i would on this... to much fire at some point in time and its getting cooked!!! Don't fire that thing up and leave it until you get this resolved or at least a good answer.

Just to keep it in perspective, I've never used anything other than a damp paper towel (water only, no cleaner) or a dry piece of newspaper on the inside glass of my stove. Just my experience.

The stove is finally fixed! It was not a "cleaning method" issue. Harman gave us a new dealer as our original dealer didn't know what was wrong and could care less. Harman ended up sending Hearth & Home and they were terrific! There was a leak in the door and the door was replaced, the flame guide was eroded and replaced; the company we purchased the stove from didn't bother to put a clean out t in, so Hearth & Home redid their installation. Our stove works great, the glass cleans with simple windex and we have a beautiful flame.
I hope this post helps others who have stove issues to keep on top of it with Harman. It took stopping the credit cards with the first company to get Harman to step in.
Thank you Hearth & Home!

I agree w/ Syd....moist paper towel works 90% of the time, although I recently got turned on to the Magic Eraser....that thing works great!

Deesla said:
The stove is finally fixed! It was not a "cleaning method" issue. Harman gave us a new dealer as our original dealer didn't know what was wrong and could care less. Harman ended up sending Hearth & Home and they were terrific! There was a leak in the door and the door was replaced, the flame guide was eroded and replaced; the company we purchased the stove from didn't bother to put a clean out t in, so Hearth & Home redid their installation. Our stove works great, the glass cleans with simple windex and we have a beautiful flame.
I hope this post helps others who have stove issues to keep on top of it with Harman. It took stopping the credit cards with the first company to get Harman to step in.
Thank you Hearth & Home!

I was just raving about Home & Hearth in another thread yesterday. They still treat me like their #1 customer even though I bought my stove there a million years ago.

https://www.hearth.com/homehearth/

SXIPro said:
.....I was just raving about Home & Hearth in another thread yesterday. They still treat me like their #1 customer even though I bought my stove there a million years ago......

Great to hear about a really good dealer. All you people in this area, take note.

Watch the windex as it will wear your gasket around the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.