My new hauler is here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you will be fine. Does the truck have the trailer towing package?

Sounds like you will be fine. Does the truck have the trailer towing package?

Thanks, Im new at this and dont want to break it the first week ;)

Yea, I ordered it with the factory tow package. Comes with a hitch, prewired for trailer power, 130amp alternator, big group 27 battery, supplemental trans and engine oil coolers.

That will stiffen up it a bit. looks like you will be fine with a full load. Just go slowly coming home.

I just did a load of silver maple with my Frontier this morning, I wish I'd have taken a pic, you wouldn't worry about overloading your truck at all! I had the bed loaded as high as I could safely stack it (which meant it was peaked about 18" over the bed rails) with the tailgate extender out, and then was pulling a loaded 5 x 10 trailer. The bed had sunk so the wheel wells were about 2" over the wheels (I have a 2" lift), but I've had it loaded with heavier wood so there was only a 1" gap. As long as you are driving on smooth pavement for a short distance, these midsized trucks can take a little over the "max" payload. Just allow a little more room to stop, and you'll be fine with more wood in there.

Heck, my dad once put 2000lbs of sand in my Ranger and drove about 15 miles home. I was a little upset with him, but the truck handled it.

Remember, if your heavily loaded, you need way more room to stop. You never know when some ass hat is going to pull out in front of you or cut you off.

Always think about how you can leave room for some manuverablity. .

I was coming home from a show one Sunday, and had just come off of the LIE. Entrance ramp merged with 2 lanes, then the 2 lanes merged to one about 500 feet later. I was entering the channel down to one lane, and from behind me, comes this guy in a small car, and he ends up running out of room 1/2 way past the truck & trailer ( F250, 2 horse goose neck slant load w/ extended dressing room, 2 horses loaded, saddles, tack,under the goose neck water tank filled with 30 gallons of water .... 40' long when hooked up). I had no where to go, and couldn't have stopped in time if I had the chance. He went over the center cement median. Lucky for him, no one was coming in the opposite lane.. I heard him cursing me out as I kept going. My responses were anything but lady like :mad:

Reactions: Ashful
Reactions: Dix
Reactions: BrotherBart
I just did it because:

1. You have a good sense of humor
2. It is too far for you to drive to wring my neck.

;lol

Reactions: Dix
I just did it because:

1. You have a good sense of humor
2. It is too far for you to drive to wring my neck.

;lol

'Specially hauling a fully loaded goose neck :p

Reactions: BrotherBart
Besides allowing a lot more room for braking, be aware that the steering may get poorer too if the weight is mostly in the rear. Try to balance the load by putting the heavier rounds toward the cab. You don't want this to happen.
light front end.jpg

Or this
overloaded truck.jpeg overload 2.jpg

I loved that truck and miss it.

135829-f20e267ea72631250e6b6e8ecd73e677.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.