My "new" Lopi and sloppy piles of hardwoods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetoric

Oct 12, 2006
Western NY
Here is the stove...

Attachments

• phpcLp5PSPM.jpg
    phpcLp5PSPM.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 691
And here's two log loads from a local tree service ($150 per load)... Mostly maple and ash, though there is a bit of cherry, and a few splits of pine and poplar. My stacking isn't as anal as some I've seen, but it's pretty to me! It's about 6 feet tall on this end, but it probably averages 5 feet tall, 5 feet deep, and 20 feet long, cross-stacked. Anybody want to guess how many cord that is?

Attachments

• 200708 Woodpile.jpg
    200708 Woodpile.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 670
And this is the other pile to the left of the door -- it's even uglier stacked, but even more beautiful to me because it's all free. There are a few branches from some trimming up on top, but most of it's the ash. I could have stacked all of it the same for aesthetics, but I wanted the psychological boost of seeing how much of my heat was free heat. Guy from church said he had an ash tree taken down and I could come and get it. Turned out to be four ash trees growing out of the same spot. This is the pile after a few other people took some! It probably averages 4 feet high, four feet wide and 20 feet long -- not cross stacked. I'm hoping this pile gets me through the heart of the winter -- we'll see. See that axe in the picture? Every single split in that pile was split by me with... my neighbor's spliter. If you look close in the other photo you can see a machete and I did use that to wack apart the stringy stubborn pieces.

Attachments

• 200708 free wood.jpg
    200708 free wood.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 643
Locked and loaded. Waiting for the first sub-45 day. In pretty good shape for a mid-90's stove, eh?

Attachments

• stove closeup.jpg
    stove closeup.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 647
Nice - I like how it's tucked away like that. When I burned wood I was proud of piles like that in the back yard! So much free heat I always thought.

It and the 6 string and the mandolins and the octave mandolin and etc. go upstairs into the guest room once burning season starts. I can humidify one room -- I can't humidify this big ole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.