My new "mini shed"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Project that grew on me...

Last year I put a rack on my deck so that I could bring wood up the stairs on weekends and save time re-stocking the inside during the week. Good plan since the stove is essentially on the 2nd floor (walk-out basement below) and time is tight during the week. Only problem was that this sits on the NE corner of the house and the snow melts on the roof making for icy water dripping that super-cools on the way down and freezes on contact when it hits the frozen surfaces below - thus I ended up with a block of ice with wood in it during a good part of the winter. The tarp I put over the top became a part of this "artwork" and seemed to make the ice stronger if anything. Ug.

So, I figured this year I'd throw a piece of scrap plywood over the top instead of a tarp, then thought "what if I attached it to the uprights" then well.. one little improvement after another and this is what I ended up with. Mind you I have a package of roof tiles in the garage that almost ended up on there too but I'm concerned the 2x4 uprights might not handle the weight. Perhaps next year I'll replace those with 4x4's and so the project will grow more... sides and doors? ha! guess those plastic "quick rack" pieces are going to have to go too pretty quick as I don't think they are designed to handle these stresses..

I measured it out - figure it can hold just about 1/4 cord if 16" splits are used and it is filled to the top..

Attachments

• CIMG2437.jpg
    CIMG2437.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 656
  • CIMG2438.jpg
    CIMG2438.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 625
Sweet...won't be long before you replace a section of siding with cultured stone and put a little hip roof on the side of the house.

One requirement is that it had to be easily disassembled - it has to be removed each spring so that it doesn't "get in the way" of BBQ activities etc. Don't really want the wood stored up there anyway as it does rather violate the "too close to the house" rule for me. We have enough issues with bugs anyway so I don't need anyone blaming the wood pile. Kids probably bring in 90% of the bugs but can't store them away from the house now can I? But I digress.

I still need a good wood elevator on the deck though! That wood there represents 6 recycling 'buckets' full of wood which is an equal number of trips up and down the stairs...

Awesome job! We have similar brackets. It's great to see what you can do with those.

Good job. Like it that its somewhat portable too....I bet next year you'll make another one :)

Slow, good idea and nice work. I do hope that doesn't cause ice right in front of the wood rack though. Hey, you need a tractor with a front end loader to get that wood up there. Or have you considered one of the two wheeled carts for hauling wood? If you get one with the larger wheels they should work good for pulling up a stairway.

Thanks for the kind words (everyone).

Heh, a tractor on my lot, now that is a funny thought! I think it would cover my entire yard (what is left without wood that is)... Hmm now more mowing, that's not such a bad idea!

I have considered a cart with large wheels. A while back I was looking at one sold by HF that someone had posted a picture of. If I could see it in person I just might pick one up but there isn't a HF all that close to me to just 'drop in' for a quick look. Besides, that just might be too simple a solution you know.

Check this one out. $100 plus shipping.

Log cart

vandedav said:
i think i would be tempted to get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44006

then build a structure off of the side of the porch. you could then load the 'elevator' up at the walk out basement level, and let the machine do the lifting for you. just a thought.

You know that is exactly what I was playing with in my mind. What has had me scratching my head the few times I've spent a little time dreaming about this (generally when walking up the stairs of course) is how to build something that would be strong enough to handle the weight of the wood and swing around, yet be tall enough to lift and clear the railing. I could make a section of railing removable but that adds new problems... My wife of course requires everything to look nice (always a challenge don't you know!). Not that I don't already have enough projects to keep me busy though. Maybe next year :)

i am not sure how your stairway is situated but this could be a possibility:

buy or build a 4-wheel wagon so that the wheels are spread out to about the width of your stairway. attach to the staircase (in a way that they would be removable for the off-season) a pair of u-channel rails that are spread to the width of the wheels. these rails would act as guides for the wheels as the cart is being pulled up the stairs. becuase of the width of the wheels they would be located towards the ouside of the stairs making it possible to still use the stairs as they are installed. then attach the hoist parallel and at the top of the stairs, preferably close to the house where a small 'shed' could be built over it to protect it from the weather and to keep it out of the way.

to use, fill your wagon up at your wood pile. pull it to the bottom of the stairs. attach the cable from the hoist to the wagon and allow the hoist to pull the wagon up the stairs. the wheels would ride along and stay inside the guide rails.

what do you think?

Slow doesn't need a hoist or cart, he's got kids. :)

I like it . . . looks sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.