My new MS250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I picked this up on Saturday. After doing a lot of reading here, I figured a set of chaps was a good idea...along with some hearing protection. I always wear hearing protection while mowing the lawn, so why not sawing? I also bought a file/guide. Again, based on my readings here.

I had the guy at the store swap out the safety chain for a yellow Stihl chain. I can't comment on the difference, but the saw cuts really nice. I have about 6-7 tanks through it so far. We took down a number of smaller trees this weekend. The saw is really easy to handle and manuver. For what I was cutting the power seemed perfect. I've touched up the chain a few times; want to keep it nice and sharp.

I've got a bit of a learning to do when it comes to felling trees. Most of the smallers ones when where I wanted them too; some of the bigger ones didn't. Luckily, I was cutting up on the back part of our land in VT; away from anything.

Attachments

• IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2910.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 264
Very nice thanks for the pics. Looks like you are all set to go, good call on swapping out the safety chain. Happy cutting.

Skier congrats on the new saw and chaps, how are the bugs? I took my wife for a ride on the rhino back through the woods and notice we had a lot of deer flies.

zap

Thanks guys!

zap,
Those darn flies were brutal this weekend. There werent' a ton, but one or two were always buzzing around. I really didn't notice them much when running the saw however. Maybe the saw kept em' away, or maybe I just couldn't hear them with the ear muffs on.

Skier76 said:
Thanks guys!

zap,
Those darn flies were brutal this weekend. There werent' a ton, but one or two were always buzzing around. I really didn't notice them much when running the saw however. Maybe the saw kept em' away, or maybe I just couldn't hear them with the ear muffs on.

Skier my first year cutting in the woods in the summer the deer flies nailed me bad, but it was worth it I bucked and split 3-4 face cord of hard maple.

zap

I bought an MS250 and was kinda disappointed -a little- that it didn't cut that great for me going through 24" oak. Then I bought a spare (non-safety) chain and discovered what others here have said. Now its just right and I couldn't be happier with the weight/power. Anything bigger would be a waste for a non-pro like me, and maybe even increase the danger. I keep the safety chain for dirty wood/lending to a friend.

Skier76 said:
I've got a bit of a learning to do when it comes to felling trees. Most of the smallers ones when where I wanted them too; some of the bigger ones didn't. Luckily, I was cutting up on the back part of our land in VT; away from anything.

Get this book and read it a few times. Excellent read with great pictures too.

boo169-365.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.