1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My new multipurpose forestry trailer

Post in 'The Gear' started by CaddyUser, Aug 27, 2010.

1. CaddyUser

CaddyUser Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hi folks,

I thought that I'd share my recent trailer that I built for hauling wood. I am really fortunate to have access to my in-laws woodlot; my FIL has really been good to permit me to manage the woodlot - I even planted about 300 seedlings this year, and plan to do the same each year following....

Anyhow, the woodlot is mixed species, and has quite a few wet spots on the main trail. I borrowed my FIL's trailer last year, but it made a terrible mess of the trail because of the small wheel width. I vowed that I was not going to do the same thing this year.

Over the winter, I did some research, and some planning, and this spring, I built a new trailer. It has a base frame made of 2x2, and 1500lbs stub axles mounted to 22x11 ATV tires. Although it is only a 2-wheeler at the moment, I designed it so I could go to a tandem if needed.

The neat thing is the convertible design that I built. I built posts that are removable that I can haul logs directly from the woodlot down to my processing area. Then, I can take the posts out and put the box on to haul blocked/splits if necessary. I also built a boom to help in loading larger logs onto the trailer. It has a manual winch on it, but I might get an electric winch this winter, and upgrade that.

The dimensions of the trailer main frame is 2' by 6', plus 4' for the tongue.

The load that I have on (shown in one of the pictures) is a load of white birch and some fir & spruce. It's loaded to the max for volume, but my good old Kawi ATV (2 wheel drive BTW!!) had no problems at all. The logs were anywhere from 8 to 10 feet long, so my best estimate is about 1/2 cord....

Comments and questions are welcome!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CaddyUser

CaddyUser Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Just a few more pics....

Attached Files:

3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

Very Slick!
  4. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    That is awesome. Great job! I have no use for a trailer but I'd have you build me one just because it is so cool.
  5. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
  6. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and SoVT
    Wow! That is really cool! I like how it can be set up to haul trunks and splits. The boom is a nice touch too. Very nice work! It's impressive that you designed and built it yourself.
  7. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    being a fabricator all my life, theres not much I haven't seen
    but I must say that is one awesome trailer
    well thought out, good size and very functional
    I had the same concept,just needed some fine tuning
    it has given me a new outlook for what I wanted to build
  8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Caddy you have a very nice trailer, great job.

zap
  9. thinkxingu

thinkxingu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH
    That's neat--now if you could only make it useful for hauling rocks, mulch, etc. Though I suppose you've probably got one of those, too!

S
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Well thought out and built trailer . . . looks like it could be used for a lot of different tasks. Nice job.
  11. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I like the hand winch dump! Very slick, indeed.
  12. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    That's entirely awesome. That would be a seriously expensive piece of equipment, should someone produce it.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Very nice indeed!!!!
  14. lowroadacres

lowroadacres Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MB
    That trailer is darn near a work of art. Right now my FIL is going out of his mind without a welder..... Long story short we had a small shop on our yard which we tore down to make room for the in-law's house on our acreage.

MIL loves this idea.... FIL is still ticked that he displaced the workshop. He buys a lottery ticket pretty much every week mostly on the premise that he wants a camper trailer and a workshop.

Once he has the welder up and running again methinks I will show him your trailer. Then we will watch the good sparks fly.
  15. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    OK....how are much the Working Drawings and when will they be available?
  16. CaddyUser

CaddyUser Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hi folks,

I am totally humbled by all of the positive comments! It sure is nice to build something like this, I must admit.

As to your collective questions:

- I haven't made a dump mechanism for it yet. In one of the pictures, the box is angled with the boom, but it's holding the box while I move it in place in order to place it into the stake pockets, and then I let it down. I know that I should make the dump for it, as I was cleaning up the processing area the other day, and it would have been nice to have it....

- The boom is going to need some reinforcing, as I have put some stress on it loading some logs - the welds are not holding up.... But, I think that with some good reinforcement, it should hold.

- Plans.... I have most of them now, but I'll need some time to update them - there were a few modifications that I made while I was in the process of building it that I wanted to do that I didn't get into the plans. It will probably be one of my winter projects to update them, so if you would like a copy, please PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send them once I have them done....

Again, thanks for the comments!!
  17. wolfram

wolfram New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    Nice work! It addresses the key requirements quite well.
  18. Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Britton MI
    Awesome Job CaddyUser!!! Very well thought out and versatile! If it was eight years ago when I was using my fourwheeler for everything I would be building one today!!!!

Billy
  19. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Loc:
    Tecumseh Kansas
    I just thought that I would bump this post back up because I just looking at it.