My new multipurpose forestry trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaddyUser

Nov 28, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi folks,

I thought that I'd share my recent trailer that I built for hauling wood. I am really fortunate to have access to my in-laws woodlot; my FIL has really been good to permit me to manage the woodlot - I even planted about 300 seedlings this year, and plan to do the same each year following....

Anyhow, the woodlot is mixed species, and has quite a few wet spots on the main trail. I borrowed my FIL's trailer last year, but it made a terrible mess of the trail because of the small wheel width. I vowed that I was not going to do the same thing this year.

Over the winter, I did some research, and some planning, and this spring, I built a new trailer. It has a base frame made of 2x2, and 1500lbs stub axles mounted to 22x11 ATV tires. Although it is only a 2-wheeler at the moment, I designed it so I could go to a tandem if needed.

The neat thing is the convertible design that I built. I built posts that are removable that I can haul logs directly from the woodlot down to my processing area. Then, I can take the posts out and put the box on to haul blocked/splits if necessary. I also built a boom to help in loading larger logs onto the trailer. It has a manual winch on it, but I might get an electric winch this winter, and upgrade that.

The dimensions of the trailer main frame is 2' by 6', plus 4' for the tongue.

The load that I have on (shown in one of the pictures) is a load of white birch and some fir & spruce. It's loaded to the max for volume, but my good old Kawi ATV (2 wheel drive BTW!!) had no problems at all. The logs were anywhere from 8 to 10 feet long, so my best estimate is about 1/2 cord....

Comments and questions are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG00114-2.jpg
    IMG00114-2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,455
  • IMG_0089-2.jpg
    IMG_0089-2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,401
  • IMG_0090-2.jpg
    IMG_0090-2.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 1,355
Just a few more pics....

Attachments

• IMG_0096-2.jpg
    IMG_0096-2.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_0101-2.jpg
    IMG_0101-2.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,255
That is awesome. Great job! I have no use for a trailer but I'd have you build me one just because it is so cool.

Wow! That is really cool! I like how it can be set up to haul trunks and splits. The boom is a nice touch too. Very nice work! It's impressive that you designed and built it yourself.

being a fabricator all my life, theres not much I haven't seen
but I must say that is one awesome trailer
well thought out, good size and very functional
I had the same concept,just needed some fine tuning
it has given me a new outlook for what I wanted to build

CaddyUser said:
Just a few more pics....

Caddy you have a very nice trailer, great job.

zap

That's neat--now if you could only make it useful for hauling rocks, mulch, etc. Though I suppose you've probably got one of those, too!

S

Well thought out and built trailer . . . looks like it could be used for a lot of different tasks. Nice job.

I like the hand winch dump! Very slick, indeed.

Very nice indeed!!!!

That trailer is darn near a work of art. Right now my FIL is going out of his mind without a welder..... Long story short we had a small shop on our yard which we tore down to make room for the in-law's house on our acreage.

MIL loves this idea.... FIL is still ticked that he displaced the workshop. He buys a lottery ticket pretty much every week mostly on the premise that he wants a camper trailer and a workshop.

Once he has the welder up and running again methinks I will show him your trailer. Then we will watch the good sparks fly.

Hi folks,

I am totally humbled by all of the positive comments! It sure is nice to build something like this, I must admit.

As to your collective questions:

- I haven't made a dump mechanism for it yet. In one of the pictures, the box is angled with the boom, but it's holding the box while I move it in place in order to place it into the stake pockets, and then I let it down. I know that I should make the dump for it, as I was cleaning up the processing area the other day, and it would have been nice to have it....

- The boom is going to need some reinforcing, as I have put some stress on it loading some logs - the welds are not holding up.... But, I think that with some good reinforcement, it should hold.

- Plans.... I have most of them now, but I'll need some time to update them - there were a few modifications that I made while I was in the process of building it that I wanted to do that I didn't get into the plans. It will probably be one of my winter projects to update them, so if you would like a copy, please PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send them once I have them done....

Again, thanks for the comments!!

Awesome Job CaddyUser!!! Very well thought out and versatile! If it was eight years ago when I was using my fourwheeler for everything I would be building one today!!!!

Billy

I just thought that I would bump this post back up because I just looking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.