My new pellets....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Western Elites... my dealers new private label douglas fir pellet.... they bag these at their bulk handling facility.

100_1255-1.jpg

I'll let ya know tomorrow....

Krooser, What was the damage on them? I probably will cry when I hear the price! All I know is my stove liked the Douglas Firs another member scored for me. But at $325/ton. Way outta my price range.

I am drooling here and can't wait till ya tell us how they burn for ya! :)

j-takeman said:
Krooser, What was the damage on them? I probably will cry when I hear the price! All I know is my stove liked the Douglas Firs another member scored for me. But at $325/ton. Way outta my price range.

$233/ton

krooser said:
j-takeman said:

$233/ton

West & South of me,, you guys get pretty darn good pellets. and what a variety. Nice prices too!!!

The preliminary report is good... nice flame, very clean, no fines at all in the bag... and plenty of heat.

It's cold and rainy here tonite... great time to sit by the fire.

Krooser,

Wondering about the "Greatly EXCEEDS ALL PREMIUM FUEL STANDARDS" label on the bag, . . . does that make them Super Super Rocket Fuel Better than BTU's Okanagans Premium ???

Seriously, looks like you scored a great pellet at a reasonable price.

Keep us posted on burn and ash information.

Enjoy,

Ranger

the old ranger said:
Krooser,

Wondering about the "Greatly EXCEEDS ALL PREMIUM FUEL STANDARDS" label on the bag, . . . does that make them Super Super Rocket Fuel Better than BTU's Okanagans Premium ???

Seriously, looks like you scored a great pellet at a reasonable price.

Keep us posted on burn and ash information.

Enjoy,

Ranger

They are made by the same folks who make solid fuel rocket boosters for NASA.... AFAIK they use these pellets to power the space shuttle.... honest!

Actually my local dealer, Earth Sense Energy Systems, bags them... they come into their facility by rail car. No PFI info... no info on % of ash, etc. Just the btu rating and that crappy looking logo.... these are the same pellets they sold before pre-bagged by the manufacturer. Now they use their private label.

Krooser,

Which gives you most bang for your buck, Uncle Jed's or Western Elites? I had thought about spending the extra $ for them, but thought that their btu's weren't that much higher to warrant the extra cost. Do they burn cleaner? Maybe would be worth getting for my insert.

I still haven't turned on the pellet stove. Maybe this week with the weather turning colder. I have had the boiler going for nearly 3 weeks now, for hot water and floor warming in the bathroom. The extra heat that the boiler creates in the basement helps keep the rest of the house warmer. House is at 71* and I haven't turned on the heat yet except for the boiler running.

Stay warm and have a great heating season.

Former Farmer said:
Krooser,

Which gives you most bang for your buck, Uncle Jed's or Western Elites? I had thought about spending the extra $ for them, but thought that their btu's weren't that much higher to warrant the extra cost. Do they burn cleaner? Maybe would be worth getting for my insert.

I still haven't turned on the pellet stove. Maybe this week with the weather turning colder. I have had the boiler going for nearly 3 weeks now, for hot water and floor warming in the bathroom. The extra heat that the boiler creates in the basement helps keep the rest of the house warmer. House is at 71* and I haven't turned on the heat yet except for the boiler running.

Stay warm and have a great heating season.

They have less ash... should be equivalent to the Bear Mountain's I used (and loved) last year. I could run the Bear's for two weeks and never open the door to clean my stove... I did the same with the UJ's but there was a lot more ash... maybe 30% more... just a guess.

The Jed's softwood's are really good... nothing bad to say about them at all.

I use about 3 1/2 tons per season... maybe a little less this year since I will finally be running my St. Croix on a T-stat... costs me about $120.00 more per year for the Western Elites so I guess it's worth it to me.... it's really your call.

Got a message from my dealer today asking if I have noticed excessive ash with these new pellets. The dealer sez their testing has shown high ash levels in their latest testing... going to call tomorrow to see what's up.

been thru 3 bags myself.
haven't noticed excess ash?
got mine during the early buy.(april)

Picked up a few bags of uncle jeds and the western elites a couple of weeks ago to try them out. Both are a very clean burning pellet and throw tons of heat!!! IMHO Didn't see alot of difference between the two with the exception of there being a little more ash with the elites. Think i will keep burning the indeck pellets in the shoulders and pick up some of the uncle jeds for the really cold weather. Thanks for all the opinions and letting me know whats available in my area!
Take care and stay warm! Scott ;-)

I called my dealer and she told me they constantly check the pellets they buy to insure the specs are what they expect... the latest carload of Western Elites haven't been measuring up to the specs provided by the manufacturer.

She told me the ash content has been testing somewhere between the Uncle Jed's softwoods I've used in the past and the Bear Mountain's which were so good last year. the expected these Doug Fir pellets to be as good as the Bear Mountain's.

I got home last nite and will check the ash level's today... my wife didn't seem to think they were very bad when she gave the stove a quick once-over in the middle of the week...

Status
Not open for further replies.