My new Regency I3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I was to get a new Regency I3100 installed today after paying in full about 2 weeks ago. Was to get a new insert with liner and new hand made hearth pad for in front. Also to have my old insert removed and put in my garage for future sale. I paid up front to save about 5% from what the sales man said.

Then he called me last night and said he was backed up and would like to wait till next Wednesday since his area which is north of me about 75 miles had snow 3 times and had others ahead of me.

So we are scheduled for next Tuesday now for my new I3100 and I will update this report when its installed. I knew there were some waiting with baited breath for this report and thought it was proper to post.:)

Shipper

Pics added and not in order due to having to resize all pics to fit.

Attachments

• Regency.jpg
    Regency.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 653
  • First fire.jpg
    First fire.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 739
  • Regencyinstall.jpg
    Regencyinstall.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 505
I posted some pics of my new Regency I3100 today and due to having to resizing them they are not in order. It does put out much more heat than my old insert, but not as much as the salesman said. The house is a bit warmer, but its not really cold out yet.

Have a thermometer and ash shovels on order to help in taking care of it.

Thanks
Shipper

Looks nice Shipper. Was a block-off plate installed below the chimney damper?

spellchecked_word">ss</SPAN>="spellchecked_word">BeGreen</SPAN> said:
Looks nice Shipper. Was a block-off plate installed below the chimney damper?

Since I had my chimney sweep do the first install with my Appalachian insert all he did was knock out the damper pin and take out the damper plate. It left a hole for the new installers to run a single run of liner from the insert up to the top of the chimney. They did put some insulation up in the damper area before putting the surround on.

So to answer your question, not that I am aware of. I had stuffed all kinds of insulation up in my fireplace above my old insert and it didn't help in the heat output of the Appalachian. The new Regency does put out more heat, but will not heat this log home as the salesman said.

Shipper

Stuffing the stack with insulation is a common cheat and not the same. And it's not even safe, especially if they used regular fiberglass insulation.

A block off plate has nice advantages and is especially helpful with exterior chimneys. Without one, the stove is trying to heat the mass of the chimney. Might as well try heating the great outdoors. We've had several posters recently that have seen a significant improvement in stove heat output once the block-off plate was installed.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

iceman's plate install with photos:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11697/

Not sure why you are not getting much heat. My i2400 heats my 2,200 sq ft ranch fairly well. The block off plate and ceiling fan made huge a difference in my situation. As long as I keep the temp up around 500 deg, the furnace doesn't run at all, even when the temps are down in the teens. Have you tried some different wood? The thermometer will tell if you are running hot enough or not.

hfjeff said:
Not sure why you are not getting much heat. My i2400 heats my 2,200 sq ft ranch fairly well. The block off plate and ceiling fan made huge a difference in my situation. As long as I keep the temp up around 500 deg, the furnace doesn't run at all, even when the temps are down in the teens. Have you tried some different wood? The thermometer will tell if you are running hot enough or not.

I am getting heat, but it doesn't heat my house as everyone says it should. I have good wood as I use hickory, ash, cherry, and will burning honey locust in a month or so.

I will have to look into this block off plate, I do use my ceiling fans and the main one above the insert is running the opposite way from the summer.

Could you tell me exactly where you put your thermometer? I have one coming and want to make sure its in the right place and see how my temps compare.

Thanks
Shipper

Put it on the face of the stove, above the door. The stove top will be cooled by the convection air. However, if you are going to put in a block off plate, then go ahead and record a reading from the stove top as well. If the stove back is much warmer after installing the block off plate then the top will be warmer as well as the temp of the air coming out of the blower.

Another thing that can help if you have an exterior firebox, and have the room to do it, is to put some Kaowool or other high temperature insulation blanketting up lining the back and side walls of the firebox - fasten in place with Tapcons. This will help keep the heat in the firebox where it can help heat your home as opposed to warming up the great outdoors. (This is a good thing to do at the same time as you put in the blockoff plate, since you will almost certainly need to pull the insert out in order to put in the blockoff plate...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.