My new saw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Hello everyone.

Well in my previous post i mentioned that i had 3 of my saws stolen. Today i replaced my first one while waiting on insurance to finish doing there paperwork. Ive been saving for a while and last week finally had enough to order my new MS362. It arrived today but i only had about 1/2 an hour before i picked kids up at school to try it out.
This is the first larger saw that i have ran with a "Green" chain on it and i have to say i dont really care for it. I have 2 "yellow" chains coming in tommorrow so that should be better.
Now i just have to figure out which one im gonna get for my limbing saw. 20130506_144514.jpg20130506_144530.jpg

Well, two things on your new saw: one is that your new saw is not broken in yet, and it will gain about 10% in power in the next 10 tanks of gas as the rings seat into place. Second is the green chain which is not as aggressive as yellow. Full chisel will also be faster than semi chisel.

I would recommend the MS211 for a limber. I consider it the half size 361. Some have issues with the oil line leaking, but that is an easy fix if it happens. Good limber and thinning saw, also good for tops and even good for climbing. You can put a rim drive on them and Stihl has a new PS non-safety full chisel Picco chain out now that will cut a lot faster than the semi-chisel safety stuff that they tend to sell smaller saws with. I run mine with a 16 inch bar and it has no problems with it.

Congrats on the 362, sorry to hear about your saws getting ripped off though. One reason I sold down my chainsaw collection here was that they are definitely theft bait.

Oh im not complaining at all about the saw and power. I realize it will get better after break in i just didnt like the green chain. The chain just wants to jump around on the log when starting a cut unless you have the dogs stuck in real good. When i started to make first cut i actually shut off saw and made sure that the chain wasnt on backwards.

Hmmm, that seems odd. It must be one of the newer safety chains they have out now.

Awesome! Keep us posted on your thoughts on the saw. I picked up a near mint used 362 almost a month ago, and haven't had a chance to try her out yet - work is crazy busy and no wood to cut :(. Best wishes for that saw! Cheers!

Congrats on your purchase!

I've had great luck with my 180c/12" for limbing and it was <$200 out the door.

Sweet!
20" ?
Tops on my list for next new saw !

got that same saw about 2 mo. ago got yellow chain 20"& 25" bars thrown in on deal. Never would have ask for full chisel had I not hung around here, glad they kept that green chain. I got 10 min. on mine ;em I've been on restricted duty .But still cuttin' with my T192 (I've said before I use the 192 too much,but I like it!) My woods are too wet to get real stuff into .Had 3 wind storms last summer took down a few ,so I've been stripping limbs.
So a top handle is my second saw (not really have more saws) but the 192 ALWAYS comes with me & I always use it .
This tree has more than you see here ,will take updates ,The 362 will come out when I get the ton of branches out .Place is not user friendly ,trip hazard city here. Was hoping to get this done before things greened up also posion ivy city

Best of luck with your new tool :cool:
P1020659.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.