My new Squirrel, installed today -- pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leakypuppy

Mar 3, 2008
Northern NJ
It was a couple of months in the works and I had to agree to redecorate the room for my wife to buy in but here it is, burning as we speak.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 582
Hey, is that butt crack I see up there? ;) I do have to ask, what kind of a stove is that? Not sure what squirrel means? Nice looking stove, interesting looking style. Thanks, KD

kd460 said:
Hey, is that butt crack I see up there? ;) I do have to ask, what kind of a stove is that? Not sure what squirrel means? Nice looking stove, interesting looking style. Thanks, KD

I can't think of the brand name but there is a cast stove that has a little squirrel toting an acorn on the side. Perhaps this is one of them.

EDIT : Look at his sig. I bet this is the Morso 1410.

That is a cute lil stove. I like it a lot. That is probably the stove I need here instead of the one I have. :)

Congratulations on the first fire! It looks great.

Leaky, very nice. How about a full report? What's the room like? (Size, windows, insulation, etc.) Heat up time, burn time, loading interval, yada, yada, yada... I'm curious because I'm planning a screen porch with the option of enclosing it in the winter. That little puppy might be just the ticket.

That chimney sure doesn't look to be ideally placed. There is a lot of structure, windows, vents, etc., close to and higher than the top of that chimney. I hope it works out for you.

This is a very nice looking little stove. I really like it. After reading posts about black snakes I didn't know what to expect about an installed squirrel. Let us know how it works out for you and enjoy.

I most say thats pretty cool. Are you burning any other type of stove

Tudorman said:
Leaky, very nice. How about a full report? What's the room like? (Size, windows, insulation, etc.) Heat up time, burn time, loading interval, yada, yada, yada... I'm curious because I'm planning a screen porch with the option of enclosing it in the winter. That little puppy might be just the ticket.

I'll get to work on that in a day or two, I'm still trying to figure out how it burns. My only other experience burning is my Jotul insert and its nice having a big hunk of cast to radiate some heat.

LLigetfa said:
That chimney sure doesn't look to be ideally placed. There is a lot of structure, windows, vents, etc., close to and higher than the top of that chimney. I hope it works out for you.

I hope so too. I could go higher if needed to and was originally planning to go 10' above the roof but we left it at 8' (2x3' sections plus the 2' inside the flashing. The pipe clears the roof to the right and the windows you're referring to aren't ever opened, its a 3rd floor guest room. My first attempt at lighting tonight and the smoke was blowing right back into the room, I had to open up all the windows. I then decided to look at the manual ;-) -- I had filled the box up a little too much with paper and kindling. After removing much of what I had in there and starting again with a just a small wad of paper and a small portion of fire starter the flame got going very quickly and no more blow back.

We'll see how it goes, so far so good.

-jim

Status
Not open for further replies.