my new stove - Harmon p35i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmonP35i

Nov 6, 2010
ohio
here she is. Harmon p35i. I want to install it tomorrow. I have never installed a pellet stove but once I helped my grandpa install a natural gas stove. I already ran the wire in the basement with a 15amp breaker. trying to find out code for hardwiring the stove instead of using the supplied 110v power cord. i also have 15ft of stainless steel flex pipe and the chimney topper. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 569
you may not want to hard-wire the stove. Most people recommend using a good surge protector for the stove. Great stove though I am still looking for mine. We have a professional coming over tomorrow to give us his thoughts. Great looking stove though and good luck on the install. Take your time and do it like you only want to do it once.

hmm, I thought using a plug into the wall would look strange for a insert. any other input on hardwireing the stove?

Nice looking insert and I hope you post a picture when its finished.

Dedicated circuit is good, but hardwired? I would feel safer with a good surge suppressor. You could be creative and hid the outlet and surge suppressor behind the stove or under something. Don't forget if you do need to repair it you'll have to kill power on the unit. having to run to the box will be a pain.

Great looking stove, must be getting psyched to get er all hooked up and burning

yes its starting to get chilly here in ohio. Dipping into the 20's tonight and i have no heat. Last winter the fuel oil ran out in december and i refused to buy any more. it get into the 20's and 30's in the house and I wore ski jacket and ski mask in the house for the rest of the winter because i was too stubborn and cheap to buy that expensive oil. The house came with a brand new oil furnace, which is on craigslist right now. I am looking forward to getting the stove installed. I was looking at hardwire surge protectors for doing the job. There a plug thats in the corner of the living room and behind the tv that would be good untill i figure out what i want to do.

I am looking into hardwire surge protectors and whole house surge protectors. I eventually want to frame out my fireplace and rewire it for my flatscreen and surround sound. The framing will hide the stove wire nicely. My girlfriend works at lowes and talked to an electrician and got all of the things needed to hardwire. The guy actually offered to come out and do it for free. Hopefully things go smoothly tomorrow.

Keep us posted and snap a few pictures along the way while its getting installed. This might help others trying to do there own insalles. They call it reference material, I call it interesting! :)

HarmonP35i said:
.... The house came with a brand new oil furnace, which is on craigslist right now. I am looking forward to getting the stove installed. I was looking at hardwire surge protectors for doing the job. There a plug thats in the corner of the living room and behind the tv that would be good untill i figure out what i want to do.

That is a huge mistake.

If you ever try to sell that house you'll discover that most banks won't write a note and that most insurance companies will also refuse to cover you.

The hardwiring part you should talk to Harmon about (it shouldn't cause a problem in and of itself however continue reading), modifications to what they ship you are generally a big no-no, warranties and safety listings can become void leading to code compliance and insurance issues.

I can not stress enough you need to keep your central heat.

If you do not you are limited to being away from your home only as long as the stove holds pellets. Think about that. You and the girlfriend want to go away for christmas but you cnat because you need to load the stove every 24 hours....

As for wiring. Drop that cord with the plug through the floor and put a dedicated circuit in your basement with an outlet. You plug in there and have a surg supressor there. At the same time it allows you to "pull the plug" while you are doing your cleaning rather than tripping the circuit.

As for heating your house in the winter and having your TV over it.... You will have a noisy fan running right in the center of your suround sound? ALL stoves are noisier than you will want in your entertainment center. This will get louder the more you try to heat the house and the colder it gets.

Just think things through before you go too far.

Rick

I still have central heat. I just got a heat pump instead of that nasty heating oil. I decided to hardwire the stove and install a switch on the wall to cut the power for cleaning/maintence. My girlfriends coworkers boyfriend is an electrician and he is going to come on monday to help with it. I was also wondering about the vent and fresh air pipes. i have the 4" pipe that goes to the chimney topper but i thought there was supposed to be another pipe that went halfway up the chimney?

The other pipe is called the OAK(outside air kit) I wouldn't run it halfway up. I would go to the top just like the vent or down the ash dump of the fireplace to the basement. Its optional and you could add it later.

Yes optional with the Harman. You don't get them in the vent kit. You would need to purchase the OAK seperately. Englander stoves is the only stove I now of the includes the OAK with the stove.

The biggest benefit is you don't use the air in the house and cause a negitive pressure that pull in cold air where you don't want it. If your house is real tight it could effect the burn of the stove. Add the OAK and it will correct the issue. There are(like with anything) a few cons.

Do a search in the pellet mill on OAK you see the struggle and battles that brewed in some of the older threads .

approximately how much does the outside air kit cost. my dealer didnt even mention it and i didnt think it applied for chimney installation. Is there another type of flex pipe i can use to get it done as i install it or do i have to order it through the dealer and wait? My stove dealer was an hour away. i never even went to their showroom.

HarmonP35i said:
approximately how much does the outside air kit cost. my dealer didnt even mention it and i didnt think it applied for chimney installation. Is there another type of flex pipe i can use to get it done as i install it or do i have to order it through the dealer and wait? My stove dealer was an hour away. i never even went to their showroom.

The pipe can be made from straight pipe like exhaust tubing. Connect it to the stove with flex from an auto parts store. You will need a down spout on to or a piece of flex. There are a few insert installs that have been posted here check them for tips. On last thing it is said not to use PVC pipe as the tubing.

I made my OAK from pieces bought at HD. They have 3 inch flex vent about 8 feet. An aluminum dryer duct with a tin hood(removed the flapper) cost $20 bucks plus tax!

HarmonP35i said:
I still have central heat. I just got a heat pump instead of that nasty heating oil. I decided to hardwire the stove and install a switch on the wall to cut the power for cleaning/maintence. My girlfriends coworkers boyfriend is an electrician and he is going to come on monday to help with it. I was also wondering about the vent and fresh air pipes. i have the 4" pipe that goes to the chimney topper but i thought there was supposed to be another pipe that went halfway up the chimney?

You still need to talk to Harmon about the hard wiring, not your girlfriend's coworker's boyfriend, it makes no difference if he is an electrician or not. It is a matter of code compliance and being able to get insurance. If you can't get insurance (or your insurance company finds out and cancels your policy) it is likely a clause in your mortgage will kick in and the mortgage holder can start the foreclosure process as you have breached the terms of your mortgage.

HarmonP35i said:
Last winter the fuel oil ran out in december
and i refused to buy any more. it get into the 20's and 30's in the house and I wore ski jacket
and ski mask in the house for the rest of the winter because i was too stubborn and cheap to buy that expensive oil.

Holy batpoo that's ^^^ insane!

This time of year pellets aren't too cheap either but
I'm sure you know that already if you've been shopping.

Like Jay I made my own OAK with a 3" dryer vent and alum. pipe
from Ace Hardware. Easy and inexpensive.

Much luck and enjoy your new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.