My new to me 1999 Lopi Liberty has a little damage, hopefully it's not fatal..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frobey

Oct 4, 2015
Western Maine
I purchased this 1999 Lopi Liberty the other day and finally got it home, removed the couple firebricks they left in it (why they threw away perfectly good firebricks is beyond me) and got the secondary tubes removed and vacuumed it out.

As you can see in the pictures the air channel (?) at the center rear of the stove has come apart at the seams (it's all dented where I guess they threw wood at it) and the support (?) above it has a crack in it...it also looks like maybe a seam at the top of the firebox has come open as shown in the last photo, I'm guessing when they moved it since the stove was used last year?

My friend that is a welder says he can fix these issues, just wanted to ask if others have seen damage like this and had the stove repaired successfully before I turn him loose.

Thanks for any help!!

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_6436.JPG
    IMG_6436.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 421
If the friend is a competent welder I'd let him have a go at it. While welding have him stop that crack on the left corner of the air manifold too.

Thank you!! After I posted I wiped the inside of the stove down with a rag and found a couple more little cracks in the corners of the side air rail that I'll have him take care of while he is here.

The lower part of the bypass assembly is a little bent and missing one of the upper "rails", I was going to have him try to fix that but I think it would probably be easier to just buy a new one.

I am looking to buy a used lopi Liberty this week. All the pictures look good and I will look it over on Sunday in person. Is this kind of damage normal for a 1999 lopi wood stove? Anything special to check the day I meet to buy?

I have had minefor about 9*10 years and that does not look normal to me. I would say burning way to hot.

Reactions: webby3650
These cracks are typical for this stove, mine have them too and it's a 1997. Every stove will be overtired at some point in its life, whether intentional or unintentional. Mine has been, but its been unintentional. The stove is made to burn hot and if I remember correctly 750 -800 deg temps is what is recommended. The problem is the materials used in manufacturing cannot take that kind of heat.

Welding these cracks up will last a while, but what will happen is the metal is now burnt and fatigued. Your welder buddy will have a hard time getting a good seam and what will happen is the crack will then start at the end of weld, called the heat effected area of the weld. Once steel is to this point the only real way to really repair it is to replace it.

How were the other interior components of the stove? Like the interior brick and baffle supports? I have had to replace mine about 3 times so far since new as they always get burnt out with the fire brick fracturing and breaking too.

Craig

I have a 1999 Liberty with the same cracks. Bought it used and haven't had my first fire yet. Does the cracks effect your secondary burners? I was wondering if they would draw much air and take away from the efficiency of the stove? What the your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.