My new toy. The Extech M0280 Pinless moisture meter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Extech M0280 pinless moisture meter. It reads moisture in wood and other objects 3/4" deep into the object.

IMG_0372.JPG

And that's white oak! Alright, I confess, that piece has been in the basement for 2+ months, and was split and stacked this time last year outside, and was standing deadwood when it was cut, I just wanted to see what the best I could hope for was.

It works pretty well I guess. My biggest issue with it is it constantly makes this chippy annoying noise while it's acquiring, my wife told me she was going to bust that thing if I didn't shut it up! The other issue with it is it really wants a 40mmx40mm (1.6"x1.6") flat spot where you can get the whole sensor on the back in contact with the object being tested, which on firewood can be a challenge.
I wanted the pinless because I wanted to use it for other things around the house, there's a couple spots where I suspect moisture behing things. And it has a 90%high range (on the right range setting). I put it to some fresh green white oak I just cut 2 weeks ago and it read 61% :eek:

Anyone else using this or other pinless models?

I didn't know they made such a beast. I like the concept, though many of my splits wouldn't have the required surface area. Gotta split a little smaller when your goal is to cram full a 2.2 cubic foot fire box. :)

Yeah they got them...
my company switched to them last year... Pretty accurate too most of our hardwoods run in the 7-10% MC range.....no one really knew how hard to push the pin version in.....

My question is, how many non-pros want to spend over $100 for a meter? I wondered why you left out the price till I looked it up. :lol:

Shipper

That meter looks like it is made for milled board wood, and looks like it would well. As far as firewood goes I don't
really think would be any better then a cheap pin model.

Yeah, it was $130.
If you just want to measure firewood, it's probably a little pricey for that. But as I said in the first post, I wanted it for other uses around the house.
I think it's really designed for the home inspector, where they can go in and detect moisture behind drywall, under floors, behind certain sidings, etc.

Another thing I've learned with it is you can't really measure firewood outside with any form of present moisture, no matter how small. Any trace flurry of snow, affects the reading, you really have to watch how your taking your readings. The first piece of wood I measure at the woodpile, had a trace amount of snow on the top edge, and the end *seemed* dry, just measure the end of that piece read 60+%. Once I got it inside and let it dry off for 1/2day, that same piece read 26%, so you have to watch it. If it's not snowing or raining, and the general area your measuring in is free of a moisture source, then it works fine outside. But I think the same general rule applies to pin models too, you can't just go take a piece of wood with snow on it, shove the pins in and expect an accurate reading.

I measured one guys $50/face cord wood that he always has out for sale, 54%, he came out and I asked him when he split this, "he said, ohhhh, about 3 days ago, it's good wood, It was cut 2 months ago, nobody complains about my wood" Mabey he was reading the look on my face as a 'compalint'.

the only store near our town has the pinless ryobi meter, i think $45. i want a meter since i am new to burning a new harman oakleaf to be sure i am good. hate to spend the $$, but would like to know what moisture content is. have burned wood for years, but since learning of this site i have not burned seasoned wood much.

How do you calibrate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.