My new Toy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough to tell from the photos. But I'll guess Red Oak & Maple?

no not red oak or maple, here is a picture that might help bark.jpg

Correct.:D I got these trees growing everywhere. Their like weeds.

Reactions: ScotO
I have them all around also, but they rarely get bigger than my middle finger before something gets them or they die for some reason. Tent caterpillars LOVE them.

I don't think they will deliver. I'd borrow a trailer and go get it. Just make sure it is strapped down really good.

I had them pick it up with a forklift and set it in the back of my truck when I got mine. Unload at home with a couple boards.

I've got some pretty big ones around here, i have been cutting nothing but cherry for two weeks now. Got rounds about 14-18 inches at the butt of the biggest trees. i will send some pics later, i figure with all the cherries i have around the house i can burn at least 3 years on nothing but cherry. also i wont have to mess with my big hardwoods which is a plus, cherry burns good also.

I've got some pretty big ones around here, i have been cutting nothing but cherry for two weeks now. Got rounds about 14-18 inches at the butt of the biggest trees. i will send some pics later, i figure with all the cherries i have around the house i can burn at least 3 years on nothing but cherry. also i wont have to mess with my big hardwoods which is a plus, cherry burns good also.
Last big cherry I cut down was three winters ago.....it was 33" diameter at the base, around 60' tall and dead........dropped it, bucked it up and used it in the maple syrup evaporator a month later!!

cool. How would u rate the btu output of cherry vs other hardwoods?

I've had hoses blow off my splitter twice, giving me a shower of hot hydraulic fluid.

Check hose clamps regularly, and change the filter to reduce pressure.

Happened to me a few times as well. Not a lot of fun getting that shower.

cool. How would u rate the btu output of cherry vs other hardwoods?
cherry is similar to ash as far as heat output, but it DOES coal-up faster. In the shoulder season, that can be a good thing. It smells FANTASTIC when burning, too. Save some splits for cooking on the firepit!

Yeah I had a couple that popped and squealed. It scared the crap out of my wife! LOL. It seems like the more noise they make the more I feel like I accomplished
Be careful where you body is in relation to the round if you hear the splitter starting to strain. The splits can shoot out sideways with tremendous force when the pressure builds up. :eek: Don't learn like I did, by taking a shot to the tibia when splitting vertical. <>
Tough to tell from the photos. But I'll guess Red Oak & Maple?
We'll have to subtract points on the second set of pics for blurriness, but not as many points as for no pics at all. ;):p;lol
You can earn those points back by posting better bark, split and end-grain pics so we can ID the non-Cherry woods you have there. ==c
cherry is similar to ash as far as heat output
We all know how you love Cherry but this statement makes it all the more apparent. ;):) I admit, I love it too! ()

Will do Woody. I'll tell u this about the other type of wood on the pile, it is as common around here as cherry and grows really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.