My new (used) Jotul Castine install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpniels

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2005
Rome, NY, USA
Hi fellow Hearthnet forum followers,

I have bought and installed a used Jotul Catine recently. I choose this brand and model because it was one of the few stoves that would fit the old chimney pipe coming down from the ceiling. It is the 2 door model. It came with the double wall pipe, so that is what I installed. Looks good, if I may say so.

The heat output is greater that with my old Vermont Castings Intrepid II (which it replaces), it has longer overnight burns and uses less wood. Plus the large windows make looking at the fire much more enjoyable.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Carpniels

PS. the fence at the bottom of the page is the plastic fence that keeps my 2.5 year old from touching the stove. The picture was taken from high up down, so it looks a little off.

Attachments

• Jotul castine install web post.JPG
    Jotul castine install web post.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 1,218
carpniels said:
Hi fellow Hearthnet forum followers,

I have bought and installed a used Jotul Catine recently. I choose this brand and model because it was one of the few stoves that would fit the old chimney pipe coming down from the ceiling. It is the 2 door model. It came with the double wall pipe, so that is what I installed. Looks good, if I may say so.

The heat output is greater that with my old Vermont Castings Intrepid II (which it replaces), it has longer overnight burns and uses less wood. Plus the large windows make looking at the fire much more enjoyable.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Carpniels

PS. the fence at the bottom of the page is the plastic fence that keeps my 2.5 year old from touching the stove. The picture was taken from high up down, so it looks a little off.

Not bad, but ya gotta clean them ashes before the next shot. Remember, these pics might make you famous!

Hi Frank,

The plastic does get warm, but it has never even melted, let alone burn. The old stove (VC Intrepid II) would get up to 1000 degrees in the past and nothing ever happened. My new jotul castine goes only up to 650, so I do not expect any problems. Especially since I have to move it further away from the stove to get access to the doors.

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.