My New Wood Dragger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Just picked up my new "LOG DRAGGER". Can't wait to get into the bush and see how much she will pull out.

Attachments

• Yellow BIG FOOT 006-1.jpg
    Yellow BIG FOOT 006-1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 776
Wow!!!! I wanted these so bad when I had my hummer!! Nice ;)

PapaDave said:
What a kickazz looking machine!! You'll have to let us know how that works in the snow.
Seems to be missing a plow. :cheese:

Since I already have the tractor with a loader didn't think I would use the plow enough on it.

That is just unreal! WOW............

rottiman said:
Just picked up my new "LOG DRAGGER". Can't wait to get into the bush and see how much she will pull out.

Very nice.

zap

Really cool looking machine how fast will she go looks pretty wicked!

Naandme said:
Really cool looking machine how fast will she go looks pretty wicked!

I would guess it will run up to 25 mph or so. Not really designed for the speed factor, but will go just about anywhere. The big thing is that they really can pull or push.
We don't have alot of snow right now here, but what we do have does not even phase it.

Gary_602z said:
Sure, You guys up there get all the good stuff! :)

Gary

They have em' down there too. I was fortunate to have someone make me an offer on my Harley that I couldn't refuse, so this is the replacement for that. Decided that @ my age, it was time get off the road and spend more time in the bush. Lucky to live in an area where I can get to use it right where I live and have thousands of km's of trails and country to ride in right here.

yeah EH!
that will do the trick!

Wow! If I had that thing I'd cut wood non-stop, just so I could haul it out. :coolgrin:

rottiman, I've seen those and thought they would really be great. I hope you continue to post about it and how it works in snow and mud.

Do you plan on changing over to regular tires in the summer months?

Backwoods Savage said:
rottiman, I've seen those and thought they would really be great. I hope you continue to post about it and how it works in snow and mud.

Do you plan on changing over to regular tires in the summer months?

Yes Dennis, I have a set of rims and tires for it. You can change it over in about an hour. We have only about 10" of snow in the bush right now and it walks thru that like nothing. With the 2" lugs running down the center of the treads, I believe it should bite just as hard in the mud as well. With 60 h.p. and being fuel injected, it has lots of snot. The tracks create alot of drag as expected, but it powers itself quite nicely anyway. On a snow packed trail you can get the rear to break loose and try to pass the front. The over all stability of the whole machine is amazing. I haven't had alot of time to try it this week. I believe that it will climb steep grades exceptionally well.
I was able pull my 08 Ram (Brakes Locked) around the yard in low range without too much strain. The tracks are a $4200. option, but it gives you a machine for 4 seasons. So far I really like it, time will tell for sure.

Thanks rottiman. I was wondering how long it would take to switch over. I may have to have one of those one of these days!

who makes the tracks ?
its not can am is it

That's a sweet machine! Congrats! I'm running a 2004 Bombardier (CanAm) Outlander 400 Max - she's a beast - I could put the snow tracks on, but......I opted for some super aggressive tires and I seem to be plowing through the deep stuff w/o too many problems. I love you machine - I'll go CanAm again when my beast dies - hopefully about 15 years from now.......Cheers!

Lynch said:
who makes the tracks ?
its not can am is it

The tracks on this machine are Apache which is the BRP track. BRP warrants their machine if you use the Apache tracks. My understanding is if you use after market brands on any make, your warranty is void.

Seen a few guys with them in my neck of the woods . . . great for the flotation in the snow . . . I would be curious to see how they work dragging out wood . . . most of the guys I knew ran them on the sled trails and most opted after awhile to sell them . . . found that for running the packed and groomed trails buying a used sled was cheaper, faster and more comfortable . . . however as noted . . . none of them were working off trail and few were using them to venture off trail . . . those that did go off trail all said they were fantastic for running in the deep snow.

firefighterjake said:
Seen a few guys with them in my neck of the woods . . . great for the flotation in the snow . . . I would be curious to see how they work dragging out wood . . . most of the guys I knew ran them on the sled trails and most opted after awhile to sell them . . . found that for running the packed and groomed trails buying a used sled was cheaper, faster and more comfortable . . . however as noted . . . none of them were working off trail and few were using them to venture off trail . . . those that did go off trail all said they were fantastic for running in the deep snow.

If you want to see what they will pull in wood, go over to www.arboristsite.com, the firewood section, and check out the blog on the 2nd page entitled "Little Yellow Skidder".
Check out "chumforrum's" outfit. Really amazing to see what these will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.