1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My New Wood Hauler trailer

Post in 'The Gear' started by duramax1, Feb 18, 2013.

1. duramax1

duramax1 Member

Loc:
    Spokane, WA
    Hello everyone. Long time lurker so I thought I would post up a pic of my new trailer. I picked this up from MS Trailers in Oregon yesterday as a custom build.

It is 6 1/2 feet wide by 10 feet long with a 5200lb Dexter Torsion axle w/brakes, Bulldog coupler, LED lights and 4 big D rings in the bed. I had the builder add the grab handle on the ramp based on one I saw at a Seattle-area trailer dealer. Tires are 225/75/15 with a D load range. It towed nicely on the 350 mile drive back home to Eastern WA and handled the bumps very well. It weighs around 1200 lbs and is rated for a 4000lb payload.

Overall build quality is very good and I would recommend this small builder as he can put together anything you want. It was $1790 and will be a nice combo for my 2005 Chev Silverado Duramax 3500 SRW long bed crew.

Getting ready to demo a spot in our new place for the hearth/Blaze King so I will be starting on the wood asap.

Attached Files:

adams614 likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Welcome
    Nice wood hauler.

I learned that green wood adds weight up fast. My single axle was easy to over load .
    What wood types will you be hauling?
    weight/cord chart (green & 12% MC):
    http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/firewood.html

Yours being rated 1700 lbs more should do a great job hauling wood. Having brakes is nice too.
    Looks heavy duty & well made ;)

Hope to see pictures of it loaded soon :)
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Some well thought-out components there. Made a sweet trailer indeed. Glad to see it has brakes, even on a single axle. Bet you won't have to fill it to the rails to get to your 4000lb paylod max. ;)

But since you're towing it with a SRW 1 ton Duramax, I gotta ask, why not add 2' ft and throw two
    axles under it instead of 1? Would make it twice the awesome wood hauler that it already is. ::-)

And he put that together for under $1800? Man, wish I lived about 3000 miles closer to him.
  4. duramax1

duramax1 Member

Loc:
    Spokane, WA
    Thanks for the comments guys. A tandem axle would have been nice but we just closed on our new house and my wife is doing some kitchen remodeling and that is eating a lot of our budget.... ;) We are in N.E. WA state and primarily have Tamarack, Red/White Fir, Douglas and Pine. I'm going to put a wood rack on the Silverado and I figure by the time I get close to the rails on both the truck and trailer, that will be a workout for both the equipment and me..

We just had very few options in my town for trailers and Seattle had a few dealers with standard 3500lb 6x10's... I wanted a heavy duty single axle and ended up getting what I wanted for a very reasonable price. Mike at MS Trailers does very nice work.

Hope to have some loaded up pics soon!