My new wood hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
My new wood hauler. I traded my 1939 ford 9n for this. The quad is much better at getting around the woods. The 9n had a bucket so it was hard to manuver . I'm behind in wood, so I'll be cutting right up to July.

IMG_0581-1.jpg

IMG_0582-1.jpg

IMG_0583-2.jpg

CTBurner said:
My new wood hauler. I traded my 1939 ford 9n for this. The quad is much better at getting around the woods. The 9n had a bucket so it was hard to manuver . I'm behind in wood, so I'll be cutting right up to July.

IMG_0581-1.jpg

IMG_0582-1.jpg

IMG_0583-2.jpg

CTBurner, we still have plenty of Ford Tractors in this area. Nice looking rig so like you said it is time for bucking and splitting.(Stacking)

Zap

I am sooooooo jealous. Nice set up there. Like the dual axel trailer as well.

Shawn

Hey, Brutha! Yes I got the green quad, yes I got the trailer, yes I got the saw bungeed to the front rack, yes I'm behind and will be cutting into July...at least! :lol:

Good trade. Those small tractors don't weigh enough to do much anyhow. I used to have a 8 N without live hydraulics. Never liked it much.

With the snow pack this winter and all of the rain this spring I'm not surprised your behind.

Nice set-up. I have something similar, a King Quad and a single axle trailer. Works well but the lack of brakes on the trailer makes one of my hills a little squirelly.

At least it's not a 1/2 ton. . .

CTBurner said:

IMG_0581-1.jpg

IMG_0582-1.jpg

IMG_0583-2.jpg

Very nice.

Nice score CTB. I've been trying to figure out a "pull-out" vehicle myself...basically been toying with the idea of an old lawnmower and small trailer.

I like the property, too...down here you need a D9 cat to bust through the undergrowth!!!

Ed

Looks great CTBurner. That trailer should really work great in mud or snow. Looks like you have some rocky ground there so maybe not much mud to contend with. I also agree that the atv will be easier to maneuver in the woods than the tractor. You'll end up getting things done quicker too.

I want to to get an ATV for next year - my lawn tractor works fine, but its a pain taking the deck on and off. I would like to put a plow on the ATV as well for the winter. I got into burning to save money on heating, but its going to take a while if I keep buying things.

lfunk11 said:
I want to to get an ATV for next year - my lawn tractor works fine, but its a pain taking the deck on and off. I would like to put a plow on the ATV as well for the winter. I got into burning to save money on heating, but its going to take a while if I keep buying things.
You could try to find an old mower with a worn out deck that someone is upgrading from...might pick it up on the cheap. Get rid of the deck and dedicate it for your trailer towing vehicle... Of course, an ATV would be nice. ;)

Ed

Intheswamp said:
lfunk11 said:
You could try to find an old mower with a worn out deck that someone is upgrading from...might pick it up on the cheap. Get rid of the deck and dedicate it for your trailer towing vehicle... Of course, an ATV would be nice. ;)

Ed

no need to be practical - I need an excuse to get the ATV.

Very nice! I would love to have a quad but with only 3 acres I can't justify the cost.

fv

lfunk11 said:
Intheswamp said:
lfunk11 said:

Ed

no need to be practical - I need an excuse to get the ATV.

:) :) :)

For the record, they can be quite handy . . . I tend to do more work with my ATV with hauling wood and plowing the snow than I ride . . . however I'm going to be partially rectifying that issue this weekend as I have three rides planned with the Club . . . plus we're doing a pancake breakfast and some members are riding in the local Memorial Day Parade in Unity.

Have fun on your ride Jake.

Back when I bought our first atv we thought we might at times use it for riding trails so we even bought a sticker to allow us to do it. I did one summer do some riding in our hunting grounds in Michigan's UP and did enjoy it. I also took it when we went hunting that fall. Now we just stay home for the hunting and I've never rode in a group ride nor do I intend to. I find that I average 600 miles per year though just on our place and sometimes I do take it to the neighbor's rather than driving the car. But I do tend to use it a lot around our place and would feel lost without it

Creekyphil said:
A warm up for the West Athens 4th of July parade?

Nah, we don't really do parades except for the one in the home town . . . well one of our home towns. Otherwise we tend to just work on our trails and do club rides.

woodsmaster said:
Good trade. Those small tractors don't weigh enough to do much anyhow. I used to have a 8 N without live hydraulics. Never liked it much.

I wouldn't trade my 8N for anything.

lfunk11 said:

I've come to the sobering realization that if you buy all the toys you need to cut, haul and split your own wood, there are no savings from wood burning. :red: Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but the ROI on wood processing gear is terrible. And I love every minute of it.

Rich, I have never found that to be true at all for most folks. However, for others, yes, it it true but it doesn't have to be. It's sort of like the fellow who cut some wood on our place last winter. He does not sell wood but just heats his home. He came with a brand new Husky saw and was proud that he got it for only $1,000.00. Hum..... I even sell some wood but my saw cost less than $300.00. He also has 3 trailers; big trailers and one is a dump trailer. Not to mention his big truck. Then there is the tractor he has for hauling the wood out of the woods to get to his truck, etc., etc. Methinks he might have went a bit overboard.

Backwoods Savage said:
Rich, I have never found that to be true at all for most folks. However, for others, yes, it it true but it doesn't have to be. It's sort of like the fellow who cut some wood on our place last winter. He does not sell wood but just heats his home. He came with a brand new Husky saw and was proud that he got it for only $1,000.00. Hum..... I even sell some wood but my saw cost less than $300.00. He also has 3 trailers; big trailers and one is a dump trailer. Not to mention his big truck. Then there is the tractor he has for hauling the wood out of the woods to get to his truck, etc., etc. Methinks he might have went a bit overboard.

Yes I agree, I only buy wood cutting gear when I can get a great deal, I look at my saws, splitter, quad, ect as an asset. I take very good care of the Gear and feel I can always get my money back. For example my splitter was over 1600.00 new but i was lucky and found a new one which home depot took back because of a blown hyd hose. they replaced the hose and sold it to me as recondioned for 800.00, it was like new. I can always get back 800.00 or close. the quad i traded for a 9n that i paid 2000.00 for 4 years ago, traded it for quad worth 3000.00. stihl saws hold there value pretty good if cared for

richg said:
lfunk11 said:

I've come to the sobering realization that if you buy all the toys you need to cut, haul and split your own wood, there are no savings from wood burning. :red: Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but the ROI on wood processing gear is terrible. And I love every minute of it.

I disagree . . . at least in some cases.

In my own case I already owned a decent chainsaw which was a gift from my wife years ago as I used it to cut up downed trees and branches on our property. I "inherited" a pulp hook and had an ATV and small trailer which I was using for play and for work around the house. My SUV was also owned outright and I had my cousin build me a trailer to haul my ATV and snowmobiles around . . . however I was smart when I had him build it for me and had him fabricate it so it had stake pockets so I could add sides. I will admit I bought a hydraulic wood splitter in Year 2 . . . but it was more of a convenience thing for me since I had access to my Uncle's wood splitter. I have since had my cousin build a slightly larger and more rugged trailer for use with the ATV . . . but that was also partly because the old $99 Home Depot special was getting pretty beat up after several years of use and abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.