My new wood hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Haggeling for weeks. Will be picking up tomorrow.

2012-03-12204025.gif

Very sharp looking truck.

Nice looking truck Backwoods. What year is it? I own a crew cab as well. Great for the kids or adults. Lots of room. Enjoy. I have had a couple of Fords over the years. Really liked them. Is that a F-250 XLT? Here is a shot of mine loaded up.

Attachments

• DSCF1745 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF1745 (1024x768).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 410
Gasifier said:
Nice looking truck Backwoods. What year is it? I own a crew cab as well. Great for the kids or adults. Lots of room. Enjoy. I have had a couple of Fords over the years. Really liked them. Is that a F-250 XLT? Here is a shot of mine loaded up.

Yes XLT... loaded, 2009 F250- 30 K miles. Got it for 16K after trading in the jeep ( jeeps hold there values) Cant wait to load it up.

Backwoods said:
Gasifier said:

Yes XLT... loaded, 2009 F250- 30 K miles. Got it for 16K after trading in the jeep ( jeeps hold there values) Cant wait to load it up.

Nice truck Backwoods.

Swampeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

[quote author="PapaDave" date="1331672984"]Gas or diesel?
Nice truck.[/quote

That question you ask took some time to decide on... gas or diesel?? I dont tow enough to justify getting a diesel. Diesel, in my area is harder to get, and more expensice, BUT more bang for the buck if I towed. In the end I decided to go with gas.

Is it the gas v10 or the 5.4 v8? The diesel of that year, the 6.4, is less than desirable.

Highbeam said:
Is it the gas v10 or the 5.4 v8? The diesel of that year, the 6.4, is less than desirable.

5.4 V8, offroad pkg, 8' bed.

Nice truck and I hope it gives you years of faithful service. I had a 2008 F350 with a V-10/Torqueshift combo and aside from being thirsty it was a nice powertrain.

Thank you all for your positive remarks. I hope it does last for many years, but they dont make anything like they used to. I bet the first thing to go will be the bed from all the wood. I guess I'll have to get spray on bedliner. Be Well

Backwoods said:
I bet the first thing to go will be the bed from all the wood. I guess I'll have to get spray on bedliner.

A rubber mat is great too...cushions the impact and keeps the dents to a minimum.

Nice truck, Backwoods! I am definately getting a full four door, 8-foot bed Ford. I am looking at the 7.3 diesels between '97 and '04, I am going the bio-fuel route. I have no desire to give big brother my gas money any more than I have to. So I'm watchin for the right truck..........

Very nice NEW truck but I'm a little cornfused. Most peoples wood haulers are older beat up truck they don't mind getting scratched and dented in the woods are back in the hollow loading wood.

Nice truck! Good luck with it. How do you like the 5.4? Has it got enough oomph?

Backwoods said:
Thank you all for your positive remarks. I hope it does last for many years, but they dont make anything like they used to. I bet the first thing to go will be the bed from all the wood. I guess I'll have to get spray on bedliner. Be Well

I think you'll find that newer truck bodies last A LOT longer than their predecessors. Better metal under the shiny paint! A lot fewer rattles/squeaks as they age too.

About those spray-in liners, DO IT! Helps re-sale value and keeps even the hardest working truck beds looking presentable. Even my '89 has one!

Yeah, I think the newer ones are better than the last couple decades, much higher capacities, better brakes, a little better milleage despite being much heavier, for example. Only thing I dont like is more and more electronics.

I've got an '09 but we are opposite on most of the specs other than wheelbase and 4wd. (V10, 6spd, XL non-loaded lol). Hope it works out for ya!

th_IMG_8015-1.jpg
th_IMG_0133-800.jpg

I haven't had a chance yet to see how the truck goes as far as loads and towing. I considered the f150 but since I plan on keeping it for a long time, I thought I better go bigger. The power everything is certainly a nice feature, and the phone sync thing will be helpful, but I agree that its more that could go wrong in the future. Up from a long jeep, this will be a major upgrade, and will make my life alot easier. I got a really good deal on it. I basically traded in my jeep, finally got more for it than I wanted for it, got the price on the truck down where I felt comfortable, and bought it 16K later.

U turns will be interesting after driving a Jeep. My F250 is only a supercab/long bed. I can inagine that the additional few inches of WB must be fun.

very nice backwoods

pen

Highbeam said:
The diesel of any year ford is less then desirable....

Backwoods said:
I haven't had a chance yet to see how the truck goes as far as loads and towing. I considered the f150 but since I plan on keeping it for a long time, I thought I better go bigger. The power everything is certainly a nice feature, and the phone sync thing will be helpful, but I agree that its more that could go wrong in the future. Up from a long jeep, this will be a major upgrade, and will make my life alot easier. I got a really good deal on it. I basically traded in my jeep, finally got more for it than I wanted for it, got the price on the truck down where I felt comfortable, and bought it 16K later.

I'm not going to lie to you. The 5.4 is a little weak between the front fenders of a Superduty. That said, unless your going to tow a heavy trailer you'll be fine. We're all spoiled by the high horsepower of today's truck and to be honest your 5.4 will probably pull as good as the 5.8 in an older F Series. After having both my current Ram and my previous 2008 F350 I will say the Superduty is beefy truck. My single rear wheel F350 had 2,000lb more GVW than my Ram. I do prefer my Ram but I've always been a Dodge lover. Bottom line is all three brands of American trucks are good choices and each one shines brighter in one area or another.

Again, nice truck and good luck with it.

Heres my previous F350

Attachments

• DSCN1942 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN1942 (1024x768).jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.