My New Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trzebs13

Oct 8, 2009
Central WI
Wife keeps asking me why so big? Why Not LOL. Most of the time is easier to ask forgivness than permission.

Attachments

• P2170172.jpg
    P2170172.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 413
  • P2170173.jpg
    P2170173.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 419
  • P2170171.jpg
    P2170171.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 404
That's an interesting way to store your wood. Obviously you use a forklift to move it around, but where did you get all those metal containers?

Skidsteer or tractor with forks to be exact. I got them from a company that use to machine brake rotors. Got lucky on that. But I also just use pallets with sides as well. Like this one in the Pic.

Attachments

• P1020081.jpg
    P1020081.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 365
Those metal bins look great! Air still gets to the wood on all sides and they stack neatly and they'll won't rot in a couple years like my pallets. Great find.

All I can say is
AWSOME!
Very nice, efficient, looks great.
Great system & set-up.

Now if you have a set up that allows you to pick up a tote , open a door & slide it near the stove. You are spoiled! :)

Now that is a wood shed. It must be nice to have that kind of equipment to handle firewood .

I know this is a silly question, but do you have any idea how much wood this shed would hold? 20 cords?

Shipper

That is what I have been talking about on other threads. That is an ideal setup for moving wood and stacking once. Bring it close to the house when you need it. I have a bobcat too and would love to get to that poing someday. Also a good cover for the bobcat. I am thinking of building a pole barn for mine next year.

GolfandWoodNut said:
That is what I have been talking about on other threads. That is an ideal setup for moving wood and stacking once. Bring it close to the house when you need it. I have a bobcat too and would love to get to that poing someday. Also a good cover for the bobcat. I am thinking of building a pole barn for mine next year.

Exactlly!! Wood, any way you stack it is alot of work. The key to anything is to work smart. We (My Dad and I) have been doing this for some time with wooden pallets. Cut the tree down, cut into lenghts, bring the splitter to the tree, and stack it on the pallet. After that, the next time I handle an individual piece is throwing it in the boiler. My Dad has the wooded land, so we use his tractor with some forks on the 3 point and pick it up and move it to a open spot. Then we load it on my equiptment trailer and I haul it home. Can take 4 bins per load. And each bin holds about .4 cord. And last year I used 15 bins. And of corse I built my house around this plan. I will post a video when I can.

So to answer the other question is .4 courd per bin, 6 rows 7 bins per row = 16.8 cord

Status
Not open for further replies.